(25) Another break up?

"Mom?"

The steady beep of the monitor unnerved her as she sat beside her mother. She was swapped in tubes and wires and bandages. Tears filled Pamela's eyes as her mom reached out for her. With trembling hands, Pamela took her mother's outstretched hand and kissed it, her tears spilling.

"Mom..." Pamela didn't know what else to say than to keep sobbing and kissing her mother's hand.

"Dev," she called for him.

Devlin came forward and sat beside her. "Rest now, Dore. You'll be fine and we'll get you out of here."

Dorothea tried to smile but she winced at the gesture. "Take care of my girl."

"We'll take care of her together."

It was silent a while until Pamela broke it. "Mom, you were pregnant?"

Devlin shot her a glare but Pamela ignored him. She couldn't wait any longer. She had to know. But she regretted it the moment she looked down at her mother's face and saw the anguish in it.

"Is it – did it –" Dorothea stuttered.

Pamela shook her head from side to side. "You lost it." She whispered.

Dorothea's face crumpled and tears filled her eyes. "It's your father's. We used to see each other even after the divorce. I should have attained menopause, but I haven't and... I don't know. I had always wanted another child, a sibling for you but it never happened. I just... I –"

Pamela understood. She squeezed her mom's hand and nodded.

"I found out two days ago and went to see my gynecologist and she advised me not to keep it that – that since it had been so long I had a baby, having another could be dangerous. So I... came yesterday to tell you, and to know what you thought about it, and what step to take."

The air was heavy with silence that it was almost palpable.

"I waited in Dev's office for a long time because your men were claiming they didn't know where you both were... I would have called but your cell was switched off. It – It happened when I was about to leave."

"Oh, God." Pamela's stomach rippled with queasiness. Devlin squeezed her shoulders.

Suddenly Dorothea's face turned pale. "I saw him."

They both looked at her, on alert.

"What?" Devlin asked.

"Saw who?"

Dorothea's eyes widened with fear. "We know him, Pamela. He's a close friend."

"She's delirious." Pamela declared.

Devlin stood carefully, looking at her. "Are you referring to Bull? Who is he, Dore?"

The monitors started blaring. Pamela stood, alarmed and frightened. "You don't know Bull?"

Given the fact that Bull had called Devlin an 'old friend' the last time they'd encountered him, one would think they were old friends who bore a grudge or something. Imagine fighting an enemy whose face you don't even know!

"Dore, please, tell me. Who is he?" Devlin pressed.

"He.. h–h–e." She started to gasp for breath.

Nurses barged in carrying tubes and syringes. "You need to leave, now." One of them said to Pamela and Devlin.

Devlin shook his head adamantly. "Dore, please."

"Mister, you have to leave, now! She's having an anxiety attack. Inject this into the IV tube. Jody, check her pulse..."

They were told to leave just as the curtains were yanked shut. Devlin stood, shocked, looking at the room where Dorothea was being treated.