Chapter 18

I wake to the sound of a voice, in the nurses office on the bed again, I feel fine now, like all the energy I lost has suddenly come back to me. Weird.

"Good you're awake." The nurse looks over me, her hair falling next to my face tickling my cheek very slightly.

"You're absolutely fine so no need to worry. I am wondering though have you eaten anything weird or drunk anything since I last saw you?" She moves and I sit up shaking my head.

"No, I just got some breakfast from the lunch lady and drunk a little water. I haven't had anything else."

"Ummm ok, and needles touch you or any cuts? I didn't check for those I just healed you, which was a little silly of me, I should have done that first."

"Not that I know of, why?"

"Well Dustin you know how my power works right? It heals you but also detects the source of injury, though it doesn't always detect everything admittedly."

"Well yeah." I say a little impatiently, thankfully she doesn't catch it and continues.

"You had been poisoned, though not by anything I've seen, it looks manufactured by, something. Are you sure you didn't come into contact with anything that could have gotten this poison into your system?"

"No, the lunch lady wouldn't do it and I haven't gotten any cuts or anything."

"You're right about the lunch lady, she's been working here for years. Ok this is certainly strange...Have you been anywhere new recently?" I can't tell her about Lynn taking me to that new building this morning, at least not yet, I should but I just can't.

"Nope, I've stayed in school since yesterday." I lie slightly worried she'll pick up on it, Lynn might hurt someone if she were to tell the principal and the police got involved, better to not tell her for now, even if it might be the right thing to do in the end.

"Well ok then, that's all, you should be fine now but if you feel weird or dizzy or anything at all come see me, though not to be rude but do try not to come back." She gave a stifled laugh and walked back to her desk. I don't blame her for what she said, I have been in here even more than I'm comfortable with an that's just over the past few days. To be quite frank it annoys me more than anything, it scares me yeah but at this point I just feel fed up, why does all this shit have to happen to me, you know? Besides being with Brock I'm content with my old life, no drama, I would like Brock with me though. Deciding not to linger in the nurses building any longer I leave and head over to the battle dome for p.e.

Rather than getting changed I simply walk up to the teacher handing him the note that relieves me of p.e, I don't say a word and neither does the teacher simply looking down at the paper, nodding and handing it back to me.He never really cared much about stuff like this, especially if it involved me. I look over at the dome itself, four separate fights are going on, one of which is between Brock Cai, it worries me slightly but I'm confident Brock can handle it, he did after all manage to hold off the guy that attacked us yesterday, he really is quite strong for having what is, well a pretty basic power. Levi is sat on his own and I quickly make my way over to him, like everyone else he has no shirt and is just wearing shorts and padding, well amongst the guys anyway.

"Hey."

"Dude you just missed me beating Haven, it was awesome, where were you?"

"Nurses office, and as crappy as your fight must have been I think I'd prefer to skip p.e entirely."

"Wait you were with the nurse again? Why?" He looks at me scanning over me, I did never tell him that I get a pass from p.e, not that I remember at least, the way his eyebrows are raised tells me I didn't tell him.