Chapter 19

The cafeteria is crowded, a lot more crowded than this morning, the question however have largely died down, most people now sitting with their friends, talking and eating, most are smiling, others aren't but it's not exactly my business as to why that might be. We make our way over to the que, the lunch lady sees me and looks very slightly concerned. She serves the person in front of us and smiles.

"What can I get you boys?"

"I'll go with a cheese sandwich thanks." I say putting on what is honestly for once not a fake smile.

"Oooh ooh oooh can I have ummm a ham sandwich and umm a bottle of water please please please."

"Can I get just lettuce on mine thanks." I hand over the money for both mine and Brock's food and Levi hands over the money for his. The school is actually pretty weird with the whole food thing. There was free food considering it doubles as an orphanage but they do it in a way that makes people want jobs around the place. If you get the free food you always stick to a menu and get served certain amounts, the food is also arguably worse, some people like it more though. However if you want you can pay for 'better' food, that doesn't stick to a menu meaning you can order whatever you want and any amount you want, it encourages the kids around the school to get a job doing something (literally anything) and if you work enough you can have money left over to get something other than food, like to spend around town and stuff. It's pretty smart if you ask me. Some students actually do the jobs but choose to just go with free food so they get more money in the end. The lunch lady starts making the sandwiches in front of us and speaks a little more quietly.

"Hey Dustin I saw what happened earlier, are you feeling better now?" Her tone is soft, comforting. The lunch lady remembers everyone at school, students and teachers alike, if she finds something they like she sometimes goes out of her way to get it for them, even if it's not food. She never wears a name tag though and she never tells anyone her name, at least not the students, I always found that slightly strange but even so she's one of the kindest people I've ever met, it's obvious She actually cares for the students. She's the reason it's arguable that the free food is worse, she likes to make it as nice as possible but she has to stick with certain ingredients that the school gives her for the free stuff, I had it quite a lot when I was younger and honestly it's amazing too.

"Yeah I'm fine now thanks, I guess I was just light headed."

"You should be eating more, that's probably why." She speaks a little more sternly but the kindness is still present in her voice.

"I know, I'm just not hungry a lot of the time."

"Well either way I want you here for dinner, you definitely need to be eating after earlier." She hands us the sandwiches, still smiling. Of course she's picked up on me skipping meals. Levi never does, I just have for the past few years, I lose my appetite sometimes, maybe a lot, but I do try to make up for it by eating more if I skip a meal.

"Ok sure, I have swim practice today though and I'm going swimming afterwards with Brock." She speaks more quietly in reply making sure the students behind us don't hear.

"Well I'll leave the doors open for you two but don't tell anyone ok boys." She winks and I thank her again before walking away and sitting at a table.

"Dude she is one awesome lunch lady."

"Yeah." I agree. Brock just takes a bite out of his sandwich and I can hear satisfied, muffled, moans coming from him.

"You ok there Brock?" I ask chuckling lightly.

"Mhmm." He hums and takes another bite of his sandwich, evidently enjoying it.