Chapter 37: We'll Be Okay

Hey, so I guess this a Christmas Present chapter. This is the last chapter before the epilogue. I've stretched this story out to its limit, and I'm think I'm ready to say goodbye to HBW.  It's been a ride with a whole lotta plot holes, janky grammar, and etc. However, I will be editing this whole book, so if you do come back to reread, idk why cause wow what a mess, there'll probably be some differences.

Anyway, thanks so much for reading. I've appreciated every single comment, read, and vote you guys have given me. This story was my first, and I'm thankful for all of you who've continued to read, even with my once in a blue moon updates.
- Ally ❤️

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**^**
Clayton P.O.V.

    When we finally managed to wrestle down Leon to bed, Megan, Ruri, and Daren had left. I collapsed onto the couch exhausted. He had managed to wriggle out of our grasps covered in suds and bubbles just minutes after we began his bath. We got soaked, and there were visible puddles spotting the wood floors. I was too tired to mop them up. Raven followed suit, collapsing in the small space left on the couch. Her box braids fell behind her, and she rested her head on my chest, and shut her eyes.

    "I want to sleep for a thousand years." she mumbles. She doesn't care to open her eyes.

    "I'd sleep for two thousand." I retorted, and subsequently yawned. She nodded her head slightly in agreement. I watched her thoughtfully, wondering how I could bring up her PTSD. She obviously didn't want to talk about it, but bottling up never helped anyone. It didn't help that I've never actually had to discuss such a serious thing relating to herself, especially her mental health. Her breathing seemed to even out, and I honestly thought that Raven had fallen asleep in the 2 minutes we'd been lying on this couch. I picked up a braid, and twirled it. I brushed the ends across her cheek, and saw the reflex scrunch of her nose. I did it again, and she scrunched her nose, and tried to turn her face away from me.

    "Stop it" she huffed, still not caring to open her eyes. I take a breath before uttering my words.

    "Do you want to talk about it?"

    She stops breathing evenly. My heart rates picks up slightly, anticipating her reaction. I immediately add, "You don't need to if you don't want to."

    "I do" she answers simply. She still doesn't care to open her eyes, and she doesn't move.

    "Okay" I say slowly, "Whatever you want to start with, just go for it. I'm here to listen."  At my words she opens up her warm brown eyes, and stares up at me.

    "It started with this girl...it was during some summer trip my parents made me go along with. They wanted Lily and I to get out of the house. We traveled by train across the country, from L.A. to New York. I met her on the train." She stops talking abruptly. Her breathing was quick, and her fingers bunched around the material of my t-shirt. She exhales, settles her head on my chest once again and then continues.

    "Her name was Vanessa. She had these really long, pretty, honey-brown ringlet curls that waterfalled down her back, and framed her face. I remember her hair the most vividly. The way it glowed when sunlight hit it." She stops once again, and turns her head a little more til' her ear is pressed above my heart.

    "She was murdered in our sleeping car cabin. We were at the last leg of our trip, a days ride to Los Angeles. She was alive when I found her. I had just gone to eat breakfast. I told the group that she was still asleep. I came back, and there was blood all over the walls. Her hands were clutching her throat. They were soaked in her blood. Her eyes were the size of saucers, and she looked at me like I was her last hope. I ran over to her sobbing, wading sheets to put pressure on her neck...screaming for help. Lily was the first one to hear me...it's why she's so afraid of blood."