Chapter 5

“Brantley she’s single now you know!” A blush flew across cheeks, nearly hiding the freckles as she chucked her nearly empty beer bottle at her brother. They had been camping for all of six hours and already her brother was starting in on what he called his matchmaking skills. Can’t be a matchmaker if they had already had been together though.  A rough laugh met her ears as an arm snaked around her waist pulling her close. She inhaled deeply at the comfort that was instantly brought to her. He wasn’t going to make a move on her, not yet at least. He always gave her a few weeks to adjust to being single, make sure her mind wasn’t still with the guy before he made a move and she did the same for him. It wasn’t fair to each other if they jumped in head first, still hurting over the last one.

“Leave your sister alone Jase.” His chest rumbled with each world, vibrating against her back as she leaned into her best friend, “You’re lucky she missed brother.”

“He’s right. Leave your sister alone, though I’m not getting any younger, and don't have grandchildren yet. It’s up to your sister…” She gave a shocked look to her mother as she watched her turn her back, a smile on her lips. She was bringing a plate to Brantley’s younger brother as he filleted the fish they had caught earlier. Shaking her head she looked around the campsite. Brantley’s momma had gone up the cabin to take a nap, something she rarely did but since they had just gotten done with a three mile hike it was more understandable. The fire had already been started since they were preparing for dinner and the sun was beaming down, showing her it was nearly three in the afternoon.

“You know if I didn’t know any better, I’d say that was a subtle hint momma. Although Jason’s never given you grandkids and he’s older than I am!” She debuted but it just made Brantley laugh harder and her brother shake his head. Her dad held his hands up, ignoring the pleading look from his daughter as he walked away laughing. “Daddy help me!”

“No kids coming from me momma! At least not that I know of…” She could see the look come across his face as he scratched his head. He walked away quickly, she was sure he was looking for the phone he turned off when they arrived. Just as all of them had done.

“How many times does he sleep with random women on tour with you, you big lug?” she asked, poking his arm as he shrugged his shoulders. He released her as he walked over the table full of snacks, picking up a chip as he gave her a pointed look.  

“He may be my best friend but I want nothing to do with his sex life.” He shook his head harshly at the thought making her laugh, “Plus if he has a kid he don't know about it means you're off the hook for a little.”

“Please sweet baby Jesus, let him have a illegitimate child!” She mock prayed, making Brantley’s husky laugh belt out. He shook his head at her grabbing a piece of beef jerky from the table and taking a bite. God could that man eat.

“Wanna go on a walk Rosey?” His question took her surprise but she nodded anyways following his lead as he walked away from the campsite. She smiled at her best friend. Nearly 30 years of knowing this man and she still couldn't figure out what he was thinking. She knew a lot, but he was still a mystery in some aspects.

“What's on your mind Brant?” she asked as he grabbed her hand and held it tightly. She raised an eyebrow but he just shook his head with his own smile.

“You know, you never told me why you and your guy broke up or why you even started dating him for that matter.” He chuckled at the eye roll that his question gained.

“We...were different people let put it that way.” She spoke suggestively as she shrugged.

“So he sucked in bed.” Brantley laughed as he pushed her slightly with his shoulder.

“Not that it's any of your business but god was he terrible. Only had sex twice”, willingly at least, she thought as she covered her face with her hands. She began laughing uncontrollably at the prideful look on his face.  ‘Ass’ she thought. She knew what that look was all about.

“He couldn't have been that bad, I mean you were with him for over a year.” Brantley shook his head as they continue down the path leading to the lake. The tree stood tall, giving off that same old scent of pine as they always had.

“I kept thinking he could love me, but I just wasn't enough for him. I wasn't that fifties style house wife he wanted. He didn't like I wrote songs for a living. It was unbecoming of me.” She faked a British accent, mocking Derrick as she shook her head, “He wanted to change me Brant, and I don't change for anyone.”

“No, no you don't and you never should Rosey you're perfect just the way you are.” He stood still for a moment before pulling her into the hug he knew she needed, “So what made you start dating ol money bags?”

“You been talkin to Jason?” she asked, raising her eyebrow at him as she stepped back to stare up at him.

“Might have been my nickname for him.” He replied laughing as he took off his hat and rubbed the back of his neck.

“I thought it was. To answer your question I was lonely.” She responded plain and simple and it was the truth. Brantley had gotten back together with Amber for a short time before she ran off and got married to someone else. She was a good woman, there was no denying that but Brantley’s busy schedule was too much for the Georiga teacher. A secret lover of hers was making his own career and living life. She was happy though. They both deserved to be happy and happy was with other people then she'd be supportive one hundred percent.

“I'm sorry Rosey.” He spoke softly and genuine but she shook her head and smile.

“That's over Brant. No big deal anymore.” She smiled up at the man before her and he nodded. Her eyes met the lake behind them and she sighed happily.

“So money bags didn't like you writing songs huh? It's a shame, you've got an amazing talent. Heck, the ones you've written for me the fans love.” She smiled knowing her songs were nothing without his rough voice behind him. He made then come alive. Them Boys and Same Old Song didn't sound right with her soft voice behind them, but when he sang them the words came alive and flowed effortlessly.

“Yeah he said it wasn't a reliable job, little does he know I've got decent size bank account for my little songs. I don't really spend that money.” He laughed at her words knowing full well that she didn't touch that money. She was saving it all for her dream house and she just didn't need it. She never was one to spend a lot.

A wicked smile came across his lips as he walked closer towards her. Raising an eyebrow she quickly got the idea before shaking her head and telling him no.

“But Rosey, it's so hot” he laughed as he picked her up. She screamed as she wrapped her legs around his waist bringing him down with her. The ice cold lake water surrounded her making her sputter as she came up for air.

“Oh you're dead!” She laughed again, as she dunked his head back under water. The sun began to set as the water grew colder. After hours of splashing each other and floating in the water he pulled her close and rested his head against hers.

“Good to have you home Rosey.”

200 reads... y'all are so amazing! Thank you guys so much for the love! Comment and let me know what youd like to see from this story!