Chapter 8

“A chick is working on my truck?” The annoyance was clear in her customers voice but she ignored it. A smirk came over her lips, only stopping when she traced her bottom lip with her tongue before biting it, a habit she had never broken. The Ford Raptor had been brought in early this morning and none of the guys could figure out why it wouldn’t start. Tightening down the final bolt she smiled to herself and rolled out from under the truck. She wiped the beads of sweat from her forehead with the back of arm, smearing the oil on her face. She could see the fury on her father's face as he took in the city boys appearance.

“That chick, as you call her, is my best mechanic.” Robert’s voice was laced anger but you’d only hear it if you knew him well. He adjusted his cap, hiding his long since turned grey hair. His jade colored eyes glared at the yuppie man in front of him as he tried to keep his composure. With everything that had happened the past few days the last thing he needed was to punch a customer for insulting his daughter.

“Don’t worry about it daddy.” She placed a hand on his shoulder before handing the customer his keys, “Now sir, next time you try to fix your truck yourself remember to hook up all the wires in the correct place. Newer trucks are all about their technology. With the parts and labor it cost to fix your mistake it’ll be $250.”

“Whatever you probably just messed it up even more.” The man seethed. She shook her head as she looked at him. Skinny jeans, flannel shirt and a beanie. Looks good on a girl, not so much a guy. It was no wonder he wasn’t drivin a prius and preaching about world peace. Hipsters didn’t do well in Jefferson, and there was no doubt he was just passing through when his truck broke down.

“Well if I did I’ll fix it for free, but I highly doubt I did.” She smiled kindly. Her mama always said kill them with kindness and she had always taken it to heart. They couldn't count how many times throughout high school she just smiled and said bless your heart before turning around and walking away. He threw his credit card at her while looking away. His mommy and daddy's name was written in clear print. Poor baby was probably embarrassed. She spotted Brantley standing tall against the wall, hiding a smirk under this hand as he tried not to laugh.

“You better bitch. Fuckin woman working on a truck. It’s a disgrace. Should be makin me a sandwich.” The kid smirked, not seeing the large man behind him who had tensed. Her own personal bodyguard you could say. Brantley’s dememer changed, but she held up a hand, stopping him in his tracks.

“Bless your heart darlin. Why are you so hostile to women huh? Mommy not give you enough love? By the looks of your lifted truck and your clothing I’d just have to guess someone was born with a less than desirable trait. Is that what it is? Did all the girls laugh when they saw what's hiding in your pants?” The smile never left her lips as she handed the card back to the man with the receipt, “Now if you’ll be sign right here, we’ll get your truck ready for you to leave.”

Practically throwing the pen and receipt back at her, he stormed out slamming the door. She had seen a lot of disrespect in her line of work but normally she didn’t let it get to her. Brantley's eyes followed the man as he pushed himself from the wall and walked to the counter.

“Should have let me say something Rosey Posey.” His voice was thick, laced with disgust at the show he just watched.

“But then you wouldn’t get to see me being sassy.” She winked at him, laughing slightly.

“You’re right. I do love when your sassy.” He smiled down at her as he brushed a peice of hair out of her face, “You ready for lunch?”

“Let me go clean up and I’ll make sure there isn’t anything that daddy needs before I leave.” She couldn’t help the blush that crept along her freckled cheeks. This man was playing hard ball and he knew it. She walked away, breathing deeply as she heard his rough laugh.