Chapter 13

Pulling the steaks from the oven she set them on the plate, before adding the finishing touches of the roasted mushrooms and sauteed onions. Though she loved cooking, and she was good at it, she hated what it meant in this moment and time. Quickly she ran to change out of her flannel and jeans and into a floral maxi dress. She walked into the bathroom taking her blending sponge and applying more foundation over the hickey that Brantley had left.Her hand pausing at first as she took a deep breath. She couldn't help but smile as she remembered that night. Though her heart was heavy that she had to leave, that she had to come back to the nightmare she lived. She left Brantley's house before the sun even rose. She knew he would get a kick out the fact that she had set his coffee pot up for him and made him biscuits and gravy. How that didn't wake him up she'd never know, but she wanted him to know how much it meant to her and that she didn't regret it. She sprayed setting spray over the newly applied foundation and fanned it quickly to dry as she hear the door open. Replacing her hair over the now concealed spot, she pulled herself from the bathroom to face the man she feared.

"Darling." She greeted Derrick, just as he wished. He smiled at her as he set his briefcase and phone down. At least he was in a good mood.

"Do I have time to shower before dinner?" She was taken back by his request. He had never asked her before, just told her. She stared at him shocked, but nodded quickly. He normally worked out after work, showering there but today his hair was dry and he was still in his suit.

"Of course. I'll just go place some lids over the food to keep it warm and give the wine some time to breath." Quickly she walked away not waiting for him to move. Honestly him being nice scared her more than him being mean. It was almost like the calm before the storm. When he was, normal as she called it, she knew what was coming. But right now as she stood in front of their dinner table, she had no idea what he was up to. She tensed when she felt a hand placed on a her lower back and a kiss placed against her temple before the pressure was gone. The sounds of the shower starting and a quick shut of the door made her raise her eyebrow. His behavior was odd to say the least, but maybe the argument they had gotten into before he left had hit him harder than she expected. Walking into their room she quickly peeked over at the closed door before looking into the mirror that sat on the dresser. She breathed out a sigh of relief seeing her mark was still covered. Her hand paused once again as she stared at the bathroom door. She hated to cover the mark of her love.

She smoothed out her dress as she walked back into the kitchen and quickly popped open the bottle of red wine he loved so much. She never cared too much for wine, but whiskey...oh boy did she love her whiskey. A beep from behind her sounded off, making her jump slightly. Derrick's phone lit up but she paid no mind. She was never allowed to touch his phone. Three more beeps sounded through the quiet house. The shower was still going. If his phone had gone off that many times surely it was something important. Maybe one of his clients needing something. She fought herself. Going back and forth between checking it and letting it go. Walking over to the little table near the door she spotted his phone, it's blue light blinking every two seconds. She peeked around the corner again. An unsaved number and a (4) with '1 attachment' next to it showed her it was the same number texting him over and over. She swallowed hard as she unlocked his phone. Her hand flew to her mouth as she saw the images.

One of her walking into Brantley's house.

One of him pulling her into his arms as she cried.

One of him carrying her to his room, with her legs tight around his hips.

One of her head thrown back in ecstasy as he slammed deep in her without mercy, his eyes completely transfixed on her.

Her breathing was caught as her chest began to tighten. Quickly she selected each one and deleted them. She would be killed. He would be killed. How did he even get these?! A million and one thoughts ran through her head as she began to breath harshly. She heard a door slam behind her making her drop his phone as she turned to see Derrick standing with a smile on his face.