PROLOGUE

Zechariah Zohair slowly exhaled the large volume of smoke enjoying the taste of the tar on his tongue. He, again, placed his cigar between his lips as he continued to gaze out of the window. The moonlight shone beautifully onto the large lake, highlighting the waterlilies that accentuated the surface. He sighed.

"Well, Zech? What do you suppose we do now? I am on my deathbed. Dying." A distant voice had said, bringing his thoughts back to the present. 

Zechariah scoffed and turned to look at his best friend of over forty-something years and shook his head in amusement. "You are not dying, Amir. You still have a couple ten years to go, my friend." He walked over and sat on the chair placed beside the gigantic king size bed that was covered in furs and silks and satins. Amir Arazi always did have exceptional, expensive taste. "You can't leave me just yet."

"Oh, no. I am more than prepared to finally leave this goddamn hell. That does not sadden me at all. What is sad, is that we have not been able to unite our families like we have always planned. And now, that I am at my end, it may not ever happen." Amir sadly glanced at the window and looked at the few stars that stained the dark midnight sky and sighed. He knew he only had a few days left to live. He could sense it. The doctors and his wife Sabah had reassured him that it wasn't the case. But he could feel it.

Oh Sabah! He wished they could have tried for more children; he always did want a huge family. It was too late now. He looked back at his best friend, who also, seemed to be deep in thought.

Amir and Zechariah formed a friendship when in diapers. They grew up as brothers and were family, in every way, except through blood. Together, they had been through thick and thin, both, building their businesses from the ground-up.

Both had planned to unite their families through the marriage of their children. However, the next generation of Zohairs birthed two boys and the Arazis were no better, with five sons.

"We will become family. Don't you worry, my friend." Zechariah held Amir's hand. "I promise you. Whether it takes two generations or ten, our families will unite. The first of our granddaughters will marry the preceding grandson."

"The children wouldn't stick to such terms. They don't value the concept of brotherhood and family like we do. It's all about money and women and the number of stamps on their passports. Either divorce would be imminent or...or..."

"Don't worry, brother. You are absolutely correct. That is why we will set conditions." Zechariah reassured his friend. "Some sort of risk or loss - if they fail to comply. Something attractive only to them." Zechariah's eyes narrowed into the distant as he began to think. 

Amir's eyes suddenly lit up. He quickly sat up. "Our companies! Not only will they be forced to maintain the marriage due to respect and responsibility, but, they will also continue the marriage due to greed." It seemed befitting. However, Amir hoped that the latter would not be the case.

"Right. So, whoever, disagrees to marry-"

"-and/or breaks off the marriage-"

"-will get fifty percent of the other's shares in business." Zechariah placed both his hands around Amir's as they gleamed at their brilliant plan.

Suddenly, Amir began coughing horrendously. Zechariah quickly alerted the nurses and in return was forced out of the room. As he left, he saw his best friend smile at him as the doctor plugged him into his machines.

With one last puff, Zechariah stubbed the cigar and smiled. He would carry out his promise to his best friend.

Their families would become one.

VOTE. COMMENT. FOLLOW.
DO WHATEVER YOU FUCKING WANT.