No love

"I'll be right back!" he called cheerfully as I turned a corner.

As if. I snuck around the lockers and peered around to get a better look.

The girl fiddled with her skirt again looked at the floor.

"S-Skylar! I-I really like you.... Please go out with me!"

She dipped her head a little as she waited for his response.

A cold wind blew through the corridor as an icy silence enveloped us.

Quaking, she looked up hesitantly. Skylar was looking over her shoulder with an aloof expression on his face,

"I'm sorry," he finally whispered, "I can't reciprocate those feelings."

"O-oh..." she stuttered uncertainly, "I-I see..."

"Yeah..." he trailed off.

"Is it something I've done?" she cried passionately. "Am I not pretty enough? Not smart enough? Please tell me, Skylar. I'll do whatever it takes!"

He chuckled a little, but the sound didn't reach his golden eyes.

"I'm sorry, Sophie. But there's nothing you can do to change my mind." And with that, he turned stiffly on his heel and walked away.

As he passed, I squeezed myself in a tiny crevice between lockers. The shadows crossed my body and hid me from view as Skylar walked right past me.

I fought to keep blank confusion from crossing my features. His personality had done a complete 180. I found it unnerving.

I caught up to him seconds later. Clasping my hands behind my back, I leaned in to scan his face. He turned to me smiling brightly as if nothing had happened.

"So...."

"So?"

"What happened back there?" I asked quietly.

"Where?"

I rolled my eyes, "Dummy. You know what I'm talking about!"

"Do I?" he raised an eyebrow.

I stopped and put my hands over my hips.

"Okay, okay!" he put his hands in the air. "Some girl asked me out."

"What did you say?"

"No. Of course. I don't see why they still ask." His eyebrows furrowed delicately as he frowned.

"What do you mean?"

"Skylar doesn't like anyone." I turned around quickly, Mialyn was bouncing down the corridor, towing Axiom by the collar.

Axiom threw me a pained look as he wobbled unsteadily after Mialyn. She stopped abruptly and leaned against Axiom, propping her arms over his shoulder.

"Oh, really?" I drew out the words in surprise. I glanced over at Axiom who's gaze was fixated somewhere over my shoulder. His eyes were distinctly blank and lifeless as he turned his head towards me.

"It's true!" Mialyn piped up, her voice flat. "He's a flirt. But he's never been serious about anyone in his entire life."

His smile was light, but no mirth reached his eyes as he surveyed us calmly.

"I've never liked anyone. I don't know what "love" is."