Illusions

"Yumi?" I turned towards the door.

"Yes?"

"The student council president would like to talk to you."

The room went silent. All chatter was quieted to a hush. Every pair of eyes were on me again. I rose to my feet and followed the messenger, behind my back I felt the door close and the noise resume again.

He pointed me to the Student Council room and I entered shakily.

"Hello?"

The boy across from me smiled welcoming.

"My name is Hype. Nice to meet you. I'd like to welcome you to our school...Mirage."

I narrowed my eyes, "I'm sorry. I don't know anyone by the name Mirage."

He chuckled, "Don't play games with me. I know who you are. And rather... what you've done."

"I've left Mirage behind." I said stonily.

His smile turned predatory, "Comply and you can leave. Take a seat."

I stood. The familiar but of a gun forced me to my knees. I scrambled into the seat.

"Is this how you treat all students," I laughed, rubbing the back of my head. I glared at the man behind me, he retreated out of the room.

"Only special ones," he replied.

"What do you want me to do?" I said cutting to the chase.

"Create an illusion."

"Any?"

"Any."

"And then I can go?"

He nodded, "And then you can go."

I let my eyes drift close.

~

She was five when she met him. Stumbling around in the darkness, quivering in fear. The thought of monsters haunting her every step as she wandered through the winding path. Her eyes searched in vain for a glimmer of light to help her find her way. In her hand, she clutched the carmine paper fan, her only sense of security. She had run, frightened away from the pounding drums. The crackling firecrackers seemed to nip at her heels. Her family had been lost among the throngs of people celebrating the festival joyously. Tears began to collect in her eyes, the growing sense of fear pressing in around her as she collapsed onto the ground. She laid her head back, gazing upwards at the stars. They were twinkling down at her, shimmering eyes watching over her in the sky. The soft beams illuminating a few inches beyond her wide eyes. And then a figure stepped into her glorious light show. She inched back in fear as it made it's way towards you. As it came into focus she took in a sharp breath, preparing to scream.

"Are you lost?" the voice carried softly in the wind. A cold winter breeze swept past her, as the figure stepped towards her, his face now shining in the half-light.

She merely sat there in shock, too scared to move, afraid of the stranger in the night. The stars behind him gave him an eerie glow, a halo of soft light. His smile calmed her nerves, as his hand extended towards her. He was an angel to guide her way.

Trust him. Take his hand. The stars seemed to whisper in her ear. Their beautiful light was urging her to take a chance. Shakily, she held out her hand. He swept her off her feet in one fluid motion until she legs were dangling around his neck. He turned his head to stare at her.

"Should we head back home now?"

She sniffled into his shirt as the cold wind blew her back to reality.