Kixi & Aze; The Cure?!

I stared at Seri, the shock registering on my face. This cure--whatever it was--was on [Earth]? Why there? Why not in the Labs? Or even in the Pass? Recovering slightly, I blurted out,

"What's the cure?"

Aze interrupted smoothly, "Well it isn't a definite cure, per se. But--"

"But what?" I said.

"A small observatory in the Pacific has a lead on the problem up here. They're calling it, 'Global Warming.'"

"And?" I prompted him.

"They have a prototype machine that's proven to lessen the affects or the Dioxides."

"It's like rehab," Seri threw in, "the machine neutralizes their dependency on the Rays."

I nodded, pretending to understand what they were talking about.

"You don't understand, do you?" Aze questioned, shaking his head.

"Of course I-- no."

He sighed, "Bad guys will go away if you find it. Comprendo?"

I nodded vigorously, smaller words were easier for the vocabulary-challenged.

"There's a doctor on Earth, his name is John Chenn. We just need you to... apprehend the equipment and bring it back here."

"Steal it?"

"We want you to apprehend it."

"Steal?"

"Take it without asking."

"You want me to steal some state-of-the-art machine?"

"Yes."

"How exactly am I supposed to do that?"

"Charm the guy. Take the machine. Run back here," Aze smiled, "Don't worry. I'm coming too."

I relaxed, "Okay then, when are we going to leave?"

"Now, of course!" Seri cried.

"Now?" I gazed around outside, "It's nearly midnight." I could feel the weariness wind itself around my limbs as I thought of the comfy loft back at the Sky.

"All the more easy, isn't it?" Aze replied.

I gave a sigh of exasperation and hoisted myself out of the traitorously comfortable arm chair.

"Let's go."

I leapt neatly out of the window in the room, rolling as I hit the clouds to absorb most of the impact.

"Aze!" I called out, my voice ringing in the silence. A blur of blonde whipped past me, and shot off at a sprint. Growling, I took off after him, hearing his laughter carried back to me on the wind. Increasing my pace, I sprinted along side him, neck and neck until he skidded to a stop next to the Gates.

I halted and stared at the brilliant light emanating from each perfect cylinder that intertwined to keep the Sky from the Earth. This was officially the farthest I had ever been from home, one more step would take me spiraling outside the comfort of my home and into the unknown.

"Are you ready for this?" Aze asked quietly.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I said quietly and pushed open the gate.