Two for One

Emma's POV

"Hello, dear. My grandson told me you'll be taking over," Roger's grandmother said once I opened the door. She strolled into my room and sat on the sofa.

"Um, yeah. I'll be starting on Monday. I hope that's alright with you," I said, rubbing the back of my neck. She had caught me off guard.

"Alright, dear. I'm happy. I can finally get some rest around here."

I yawned and she looked at me.

"Oh, you're sleepy. I'll get out of your hair," she said then got on her feet.

"Mrs.—"

"Stones."

"Mrs. Stones, I don't mean to come off rude or disrespectful, but I was just about to go lie down when you came over."

"That's alright, dear. I'll see you around anyway. Have a good nap." 

I headed for the bedroom and fell into a nice, comfortable sleep.

I woke up to a literal pounding on the door. I would be furious at whoever the hell it was; I didn't care if it was a police officer. The pounding woke me up from my sound sleep and caused a mild headache.

"I'm coming!" I yelled, walking quickly to the door. I flung it open with anger.

"You're coming home with me, right now, so get your things," Ethan said, moving past me. 

He looked around, casting his eyes everywhere like a health inspector.

"How did you find me?" I asked, putting my hands on my hip in defiance; I looked up at the wall clock: 7:00 pm.

"Does it matter? I've found you, now, and I'm taking you home."

"I'm not going anywhere, Ethan. You'd better leave." As I said that, he walked up to me. Each step made me heated as he got closer and closer. His manly sweet scent making my hormones spark.

Oh goodness, this man was so taunting, but I needed to make my stand. He cheated on me.

"Emma, I'm not leaving without you so you might as well stop acting like a spoiled child and go get your things."

"Really? Why are you even here? I'm not going anywhere with you. You cheated on me and had the nerve to bring the bitch's panties home with you. I'm not going back to your house and I want you to leave mine."

"I didn't. Emma, let me explain."

"I don't want any explanation about your actions. I've seen enough already. I'm just glad that I haven't walked down the aisle to your lying ass."

"Wow, Emma, are you for real right now? You're happy that you didn't get married to me?"

"Yes, I'm happy. I don't wanna marry you. I don't wanna have any babies by you. I don't want this relationship anymore."

"Is that because of Roger?"

"What? Rog— How do you know about him?"

"Emma, I'm Ethan Hollen. If I don't know something it's because I choose not to know."

Of course. The man has more connections than the president.

"Well, this has nothing to do with him. I'm the one making this decision; there's no influence here."

"Are you certain this is how you want us to end things, Emma?"

Truthfully, I didn't know if I wanted to let him go all together or hold onto him and trust in him. I loved him. He was the first man I'd ever opened up to, and the first in everything. I was speaking from a place of anger and hate. I hated what he did to me— to us. I wouldn't have ever thought about doing something like that to him. I loved him too much—way too much—and I valued him as a person.

"Ethan, I can't... I don't want to... I still love you but it's not going to work...," I stuttered and broke into tears.

He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer to him. I heard his heartbeat in my ear and that somewhat calmed me and made me felt better.

"Shh," he said and combed my hair with his fingers, "I don't want to see you cry, baby."

There was an awkward silence as he released me.

"I'm not going to force you back with me. I want that to be your free will. I love you, Emma. I'm sorry for hurting you; I really am."

He began to walk out of the door.

I wanted to stop him, I wanted to pull him back to me and lose myself in his strong arms and kiss him like I'd always craved, but I also wanted to yell at him and slap his face silly at the same time. I wanted him all over me in heated passion.

"Ethan, wait!" I said right as he stepped outside.

He turned around, still outside the door.

"I don't want to lose you, but I don't want to rush back to you either. I just need some time to clear my head and see things through. I'm mad as hell right now and what I said earlier, well, I, um, I didn't meant that. I was speaking from an angry place. I'm angry that you pushed me away when you were cheating on me."

"I understand, Emma. Take all the time you need. I'll be right here waiting for you."

He left without another glance or look back.

What I'd said earlier to him had hurt him. I saw the pain of my words in his eyes— his beautiful grey eyes.

I was missing him, missing the comfort of the mansion and my best friend, Halley. I was now alone because I made the decision to leave. But I couldn't stay with him without giving him enough space to look at his mistakes. I had done absolutely nothing wrong to him. I was honest, I loved him, and I cherished everything about him. Things went downhill in an instant and turned for the worse. I had to leave because he was starting to take me for granted.

Another knock came on the door, shutting me out my thoughts. A small smile crept into my lips.

It must be Ethan again.

I opened the door to find Roger was standing outside.

"Sorry to bother you, but was that a guy I saw leaving— Are you in a relationship?"

He seemed kind in some ways, but he was rather inquisitive. I didn't like the fact that he was getting into my business and watching my room; well, my new apartment.

Who does he think he is?

"Actually, he's just a friend of the family. He just came by to reconnect," I lied.

"Oh, nice. Because, the reason I asked was, I was wondering if you'd go on a date with me," he said, blushing.

"A date?" I asked in great surprise. "But don't you have a girlfriend or—?"

"Nope. I'm single. The last girlfriend I had, well, she left me for some rich slob."

"That's unfortunate."

"That's life."

"Roger, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I can't do dates right now. I'm just not up for it."

"Boyfriend troubles?"

"You could say that."

"I understand. Thanks for making it clear. I hope we can be friends though."

"Of course."

"Okay. Good evening then."

"Bye."

I already began to hate this place. Where was the peace and quiet around here?

__________
FROM THE AUTHOR :

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!