Emily

Emma's POV

I watched my family sitting around the dinner table, eating the food I prepared. Ethan was at the head table, eating away at his delicious juicy steak. Evan was eating slowly because he was texting on his phone, which he hid underneath the table so I wouldn't notice. Emily was looking at the food carefully and always asking if it was going to make her fat or if it was full of calories. EJ was eating like the good boy he ought to be. His behavior had changed around for the better. He had made friends with everyone in his classroom and we had no more bad reports about his temper.

I couldn't help but look at what I'd accomplished with the man of my dreams. Never had I thought I'd be here in life, sitting in a mansion around a huge dinner table with my own family. Everyone in the foster homes and group homes told me I was worthless and I'd amount to nothing in life. No one loved me, cared for me or protected me-- even my parents deserted me. 

I wished I could see all of those doubters now and show them that I did amount to something. I amounted to happiness, peace and tranquility. I amounted to a life that was beyond words, that I was fond of, and a life that I'd never change. There were obstacles along the way, obstacles that almost tore away this sight before my eyes. I wouldn't have had all of this if I'd given up and walked permanently away from Ethan without looking back.

"Mommy, can I go up my room and play now?" EJ asked, shaking me from the admiration of my family. 

I smiled at him, seeing he had cleaned his plate. I allowed him to leave the table.

"Evan, stop texting and eat your food," I said. 

He gave me a 'how did you know?' look but put away his phone and continued eating.

"Mommy, is this going to let me gain weight?" Emily asked for the hundredth time She was slowly giving me a headache.

"No, Emily. Just enjoy your food and stop asking all these questions for once," Ethan answered for me.

_________________________________

"I love our family. The kids are growing up so fast," I said to Ethan , rubbing his back with my fingers as we laid on the bed watching television.

"Yeah," he answered shortly, eyes glued to the TV.

"Babe, did you talk to Emily?"

"No, why?"

"She wants to ask you something?"

"Well, I know she already spoke to you about it, so go ahead and tell me."

"She wants your permission to go on a date with a guy from her school."

"No!"

"Baby, she's sixteen."

"I don't care how old she is. She's not going out on any dates. She's too young. These guys are only after one thing, but it's not going to happen with my daughter."

"Babe, let's be realistic here. We can't cage her forever; and I was happy when she came to me instead of sneaking behind our backs."

"Well that's good and all, but she's not going on any date with someone I don't know and haven't met."

"Okay, well, what if we invited him over for dinner one night and get to know him?"

"Fine."

"I'll let her know."

_________________________________

The next Saturday, Emily invited over her would-be-date for dinner with us. We had the chef prepared something fantastic and delicious-- diced lobster with a garlic butter sauce, steamed vegetables and rice, and a chocolate ice cream cake for dessert.