One

"Hurry up! Do you know how late we are?!" Jangmin's voice was drugged with annoyance and he tugged sharper at my wrist, his messy brown hair flying. I struggled to catch up, in one hand I clutched my book bag. My palms were sweaty, my heart thumping with fear.

For the first time in my entire life I was attending school and it didn't make it better that I was late for my first day. For my whole sixteen years I had grown up being taught by my mother. It was a life that I hated, I hated every second of it. I was loney, diseducated, and sad. Yet now that I thought about it I would do anything to have that life back. To have my mother back.

The gates were still open, thank goodness we didn't get into trouble. I was covered in sweat, my hair was a mess; I hadn't even had time to apply much makeup. I clutched Jangmin's hand as we hurried up the flight of stairs and through the halls, stopping at class 3-2.

A moment later I found myself standing before the entire class next to my twin brother. The teacher was a tall middle aged woman with black hair that fell to her shoulders. She looked intimidating. I didn't even realize Jangmin and I were still holding hands till one of the students let out a scoffing laugh and pointed at us,

"Wow you guys look super close. Gross"

Quickly I pulled my hand away, surprised at the disgusted and ugly looks from all the students. The teacher sent a glare to the student that had commented and he flopped back into his seat, wearing the unamused expression again.

"These are the new students. Give a warm welcome to Jangmin and Soohyun." The teacher sounded friendly but I could tell her happy appearance was only a mask. The class clapped for us, that is all but the guy in the back seat who had commented. He was eyeing me with a cold stare, one that I quickly looked away from.

"Jangmin, you can sit next to Baeksoon." The teacher pointed at a girl near the front row.

"Soohyun, you can sit with Eunwoo." She pointed to a desk in the far back, where a handsome looking boy was sitting. I tried to ignore the stares as I made my way to the back of the class and sat down. I gave the boy a small nod and he nodded back from underneath his dark brown bangs. He looked like one of the popular kids, someone I would see in a drama. I realized I was staring at him when smiled at me, a smile that seemed to radiate light. I looked away, overwhelmed with his sudden attention.

The teacher cleared her throat,

"Now that that's finished, please take notes while I go over the stages of difusion."

After that she talked on and on, saying many things I had never heard before. Class went agonizingly slow and I found myself fidgeting; not used to sitting down for such a long time.

"Jangmin be quiet!" The teacher snapped suddenly at my brother who had been tapping his pen. I looked up in surprise at the sudden harsh voice. Jangmin looked down sadly and I felt angry, wanting to yell at the teacher. This wasn't right, teachers weren't supposed to yell at their students. Mother was never this mean... She'd never yell at us. The anger immeadiatly turned to sadness. It was a deep thick sadness that filled my entire body. An emptiness that made me want to cry my eyes out. This was hell, I wanted mother back. I was so scared, so scared of being here, of doing something wrong. Swallowing the lump in my throat; I focused on my page again, seeing dark drop marks on my paper.

What...

I reached up and found liquid pooling in my eyes. Quicky I brushed the tears away, embarrassed. It happened often, and it wasn't unusual to find myself crying without even knowing it. Ever since the accident I was never the same.

"Are you okay?" The boy beside me whispered in my ear and I jumped, startled at his sudden words. I nodded hastily; avoiding his gaze.

"Soohyun! Concentrate on your work!" The teacher's sharp voice brought my head up and I stared at her in frozen fear.

She's yelling at me... the tears threatened to fall again.

It was then I realized everyone was looking at me. I saw the guy in the back snicker, looking amused at my misery. The teacher's eyes softened for a second,

"Stay focused, okay?"

I nodded again, gulping away the tears and looking back at my paper. I wrote and wrote till my fingers were stiff and sore. At last the bell rang and the students jumped from their seats. The agonizing silence was replaced by chatter and footsteps. It was relieving to leave my seat and hurry over to Jangmin. He was stuffing his books into his bag, his lips were pursed. I approached him silently, waiting for him to face me.

"I hate this place." He straightened, the words coming from his lips in an angered whisper. I understood him, because I felt the same. All the dreams of school I had thought of were nothing like this place. This was way scarier.

"Let's go eat, we'll probably feel better." I tried to lighten the mood, offering to take his bag. He sighed and swung it onto his back.

"I'm going to the bathroom, go ahead without me." It was the first time he'd said that to me. To go on without him. I knew he didn't mean it in the way I was thinking, but it still hurt. Before mother had died we'd never been far from each other, never left another behind. Things had changed so quickly it still felt unreal. I watched as he left the classroom, leaving me as the person remaining in the room. Or so I thought.

When I felt the finger touch my shoulder I jumped two feet and swung my arm around, striking the person in the face.

"Ow!" He let out a yelp of pain and I covered my mouth in shock. It was my deskmate.

"Oh my goodness I'm so sorry!" I pulled my hand back to my chest, upset at my reaction. He looked up and I was surprised to see he was smiling. He let out a laugh,

"Do you always do that when people scare you?" He ruffled his black bangs with a laugh. I blinked at him, not knowing how to react,

"I..."

"Wow" He smiled at me again, making my stomach churn with nervousness. Something about him made me jumpy, uneasy. I wasn't used to talking to people like this, normally.

"I'm Eunwoo, let's be friends" He stretched out a hand, a smile spreading from ear to ear. I shook it timidly, managing the tiniest smile.

"Soo.. Soohyun.." I stuttered, color flushing into my cheeks in embarrassment. I was a mess. Eunwoo was still smiling, and I wondered if there was a moment where he wasn't. He grabbed his backbag,

"Lets eat, the food is actually not that bad." He walked past me to the door. I blinked after him, following slowly.

A friend...

Maybe this place wasn't all hell after all.