Twenty-eight

"What if she's sitting right in front of me right now?"

I choked on my breath, my heart furiously pumping heat through my veins and up into my cheeks. I struggled to speak,

"Wh... wha...what do you mean?"

He exhaled lightly, his breath bouncing off my nose and smelling of the mint toothpaste he used. I noticed the frustration in his eyes.

"The girl I like is you Soohyun. I like you."

"What?!" I stood up, staring at him as if I'd seen a ghost. I instantly regretted it when I saw the pitiful expression in his brown eyes.

"I mean, why?" I lowered my voice. Eunwoo smiled at me then looked thoughtful.

"Well for one, you're pretty."

I felt my heart thrashing in my rib cage at those words, my face burning. He must be joking.

He went on, "You're cute when you're happy, I love how caring and kind you are. You've gone through so much..." He paused again,

"...and yet, you still stay strong."

I stared at him, completely speechless. It couldn't be real. Why would Eunwoo like me, of all girls?

"I just wanted to tell you, since I didn't think I'd ever have the courage again."

I was a blushing mess, standing there. He stood up slowly and looked at me. He looked sad. There was sorrow in his eyes.

"I'm sorry." Again he was apologizing for something I didn't understand. Did he think I hated him for liking me? Was he sorry for his confession? I blinked at him for a moment longer and he went on,

"I didn't want to tell you because I'm afraid. I'm afraid of hurting you and not having the chance to be with you. I'm selfish Soohyun." He dropped his eyes,

"I like you so much, even though it might hurt you. I just.."

He looked up sadly,

"I just want to make you happy Soohyun. I just want to see you smile, to make sure you're not sad and hug you when you're upset. I want to protect you from all the jerks in the world and I want you to come to me when you need something. Is that too selfish?"

I felt my throat tightening and couldn't take it any longer. Stepping forward I wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my head on his chest.

"No, it's not selfish Eunwoo. I'd be lying to say I didn't feel the same."

"W.. what?" His voice shook. I smiled and looked up, my heart racing at the closeness of his face,

"Eunwoo, honestly, I'm happy with you." I paused.

"I like you Eunwoo. I-I'm sorry I couldn't tell you sooner."

I felt my heart aching while looking up at him. He had been holding back this whole time, watching me with Rocky, watching me cry and rant and laugh with another guy. He'd kept it all inside, caged his feelings up and forced them away. I felt terrible, because in truth I was the one being selfish.
I had been so worried about my feelings and my problems, I hadn't been able to notice Eunwoo's.

But in that moment, he was holding me. He was smiling brighter than I'd ever seen him smile, if that was even possible. I didn't realize at the time but I was smiling too. His arms cradled my waist, my body fitting comfortably in his hold.

"So are we..?" He paused. I felt my face turning red at his question. But I nodded, burying my face in my hands. My heart was flying high, my mind spinning with an overwhelming feeling of ecstasy.