Twelve

I knelt down in front of my brother, tipping his chin up so I could see his face. He looked terrible.
"

Shouldn't we take him to the hospital Jinwoo?" I looked up at the new kid who had been just standing there after fighting off the crooks.

"No, I'll be fine." Jangmin struggled to his feet and tried to wipe away the blood from his face. I hurried to steady him with my arm.

"I'm going to report those bastards, they'll get what they de-"

"No, don't tell anyone about this." Jangmin interrupted me with a pleading voice.

"Why not?! They hurt you!"

"Please Soohyun, just forget you saw anything. Both of you." He paused from walking to look up at Jinwoo,

"I'm sorry about this, thank you; really. But don't tell anyone."

Jinwoo just listened with a sad expression on his face. It was as if he could understand Jangmin, as if he pitied him.

"Okay, but we need to get you to the nurse." I took my brother's arm gently to lead him. The basketball players had left and the gym was empty. I felt a little disappointed. Why hadn't Minhyuk come looking for me or Jangmin?

At the nurse's I helped dab antibiotics on my brother's wounds. He winced as I rubbed over a big scrape. I felt the anger in the pit of my stomach again. How long had this been happening? All this time he'd come to class with wounds, he hadn't fallen. He had lied to me. Kept this from me when all this time he was being beaten.

"Soohyun, are you okay?" Jinwoo's voice jolted me back to reality and I realized I was crying again.
It hadn't happened in a while. Yet now it was. Jangmin reached up and gently wiped the tears from my eyes,

"I'm sorry Soohyun." His voice was broken and upset. I knew how much he blamed himself. I knew how terrible he felt, how much of a jerk he knew he was. I took his hand and set it in my lap.

"It's okay. It'll be okay."

—————

"Are you hurt? What happened? Where's Jangmin?!" I was faced with a frantic Eunwoo when I arrived in class late. I saw Baeksoon, MJ, and Sanha giving me curious looks.

"I'm okay, I'll tell you later."

That wasn't enough for him,
"Hey, were you crying? Who made you cry??" He tried to meet my eyes but I looked away.

"Cha Eunwoo, no talking in class." Mrs. Jang gave him her famous glare and he turned away quickly; finally shutting his mouth. I stared at my papers but I couldn't concentrate. The scene was going over and over in my head. What was the deal Jangmin had made with them? Why was he making deals and fighting? And more importantly, why hadn't he told me? Did he not trust me anymore? I bit my lip to keep from crying.

After class the same thoughts were running through my mind. Jangmin had gone home early due to his wounds. Mrs Jang had called Eunwoo after class, probably either to scold him for talking in class or discuss class president plans. I was still frustrated at him for being distracted at lunch. If he'd come with me maybe things would've turned out better. We were lucky Jinwoo showed up.
He was a really good fighter. I began to wonder if he'd had that reputation before. Was Jinwoo dangerous? There was so much I didn't know about the guy.

"Hey Soohyun." I looked up from walking to see Minhyuk. He flashed me a smile, one that easily made my stomach do flips.

"Yeah?"

"Wanna, take a stroll with me? Class doesn't start again for half an hour." He held out a drink. I blinked twice at him, surprised and confused.
A stroll? Why did Minhyuk want to go on a stroll with me?