Chapter 3

Numerous outfits were spread on my bed. Mom was making me dress up for my outing with Marshall regardless how I felt about it. For some reason, she felt I owed it to him. I decided on dark blue skinny jeans and a three quarter sleeve tight black blouse. I made sure the neckline wasn't too low so Marshall wouldn't get any ideas.

"Rachel! I'm going out! Have fun tonight okay!" Mom called.

"Bye Mom love you!" I answered as I pulled on my top.

Our front door clicked shut. I watched my mom get in her car and drive off down the street from my window. I tied the laces on my black high top converse and jogged down the stairs. I slung my bag over my shoulder just as three loud knocks were placed on my door. I shoved my phone in my back pocket and pulled open the door. Marshall stood in a white t shirt and black leather jacket. The same dogtags dangled around his neck. Almost the exact same outfit as when we first met.

"Your mom home?" He asked without even whispering a hello.

"She just left." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh good." Marshall smirked and dove in for a kiss.

He held my hips securely in between the doorframe and his own.

"Marshall can we just get this over with?" I said in between kisses when he let me breathe.

"Try to not be so angry." He laughed and guided me to the car.

Marshall locked us both in the car and drove in the opposite direction Mom had gone.

"Where are we even going?" I asked with slight annoyance in my voice.

"Block party." He replied smoothly. "A friend of mine is throwing it."

It didn't take long for us to get to the party. People stumbled all over the sidewalk already drunk from the festivities. Marshall parked behind a truck down the street from the party. The both of us got out and he wrapped his arm around my waist, steering my towards the strob lights.

"Stay close." He demanded. "This isn't the safe part of town."

"Why did you bring me here then?" He picked up the pace towards the party.

"Now you have to stay with me." He laughed, clearly it was meant as a joke.

As we entered the beggining of the block, Marshall's hold on me tightened. Confused eyes followed us down the street. Given the judgemental looks, it was clear that Marshall wasnt the type of guy to bring a date places. He pulled me up the driveway to a house with an open front door and a raging party inside.

"Nate?" Marshall called and pulled me farther in. "Nate?!"

"No fuckin way. Is that Marshall Mathers and a girl?" A deep voice slurred from the kitchen.

Both of us turned. A boy no younger that 20 but no older than 23 stood holding 2 beers in a crowded mess of people. His brown hair was matted on his head and his clothes had stains all over them. Marshall extended his hand and offered Nate a side hug.

"Very funny." Marshall said defensively.

"Hello who are you?" Nate smiled and let his eyes size me up.

Nate's breath smelled of alcohol. I scrunched my nose and took a step back.

"This is Rachel." Marshall dropped his hand from my waist.

I could tell by the way he talked that Marshall was making sure to be careful around Nate. His stance gave off the impression that he would be ready to lunge at Nate at any moment. Marshall's features seemed to become intensely sharp and his eyes narrowed on Nate who was not so discretely staring at my chest.