Chapter 14 | tell me

It was the middle of the night, and you'd been up thinking about when to confront him. But since you couldn't sleep... why not now. You got up and wandered downstairs to see undertaker at his desk, catching up on missed work by a few candles. He spotted you and turned to face you.

"(Y/n), what are you doing up? Are you alright?" He asked.

You took a shaky breath.

"Can I ask you something serious?" you said.

"Of course"

"You won't hate me?"

"I could never"

You walked over and sat down next to him, you looked down at your hands and felt nerve racking inside you.

"A-are you a shinigami?"

He froze. He didn't think you'd ever find out. He didn't know how you found out, he didn't exactly know how to respond to that. Silence hung in the air, you could feel his shock radiating off him. You instantly felt like you'd fucked up, it made you start to panic inside.

"H-how did you..." he said, still letting your words sink in.

"I-I'm sorry! It's just you were always so secretive and I'm too curious about things and I went looking for answers. I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" You panicked.

"(Y/n), (y/n)! Calm down..."

He put his hands on your shoulders and stopped you from freaking out.

"Sorry..." you said again.

"How did you find out..."

"W-well... I was cleaning up the shelves and I found a bunch of old pictures of Ciel when he was little and some other people... I got too curious and tracked down Grell... she told me about a place called SDA. And when I went to ask Ciel what it meant he said it was a shinigami work place. Then Sebastian connected the dots and, uh... yeah that's how, I'm sorry..."

It was silent again. You felt like you'd screwed up big time.

"I forgot about those pictures... it's been so long" he said to himself.

"I'm sorry! I shouldn't have been snooping!"

"(Y/n)! Stop apologising" he said.

It was silent for a moment again.

"Yes, I am a shinigami. I retired from my job as a soul collector a while ago because I was forgiven. But I became attached to the jobs including death so that's why I work as an Undertaker" he said.

"Why didn't you tell me..." you said in a small voice.

"Because I didn't want to put you in danger. Knowing a shinigami can invite unwanted visitors into your life. I didn't want that to happen to you, I knew you'd find out eventually, just not this soon..."

"I'm confused... I know what a shinigami is but... how are they created?" You asked.

"When a human kills them selves, they're reborn as a shinigami and punished to watch others die until they are forgiven"

That made your heart stop. Undertaker killed himself? He was once human... the thought of him so depressed it bought him to death made you feel like crying.

"S-so-"

"Yeah, but I don't regret it. It was only way out of the situation I was in. But I'm grateful I got a second chance"

He must have been in a really bad state. You felt bad, you wanted to hug him and not let go. But you still had some questions.

"I don't expect you to tell me how or why... but I just want to know when"

"1602"

"1602! Geez that's almost two centuries"

"The age you are when you die is what's you're immortalised as, so I've been stuck in my 20s for god knows how long"

It was all making sense now. You weren't going to go too personal. That was his business and you have no right to interfere. You felt bad for him... all at once you got up and wrapped your arms around him, burying your face into his chest. He was taken back by the sudden action for a moment but soon eased up and pulled you into his lap where he wrapped his arms around you.

"I'm sorry for being such a snoop" you said.

"I knew you'd find out eventually, don't sweat it"

You only had two more questions.

Why he acts so differently around you and his name.

"Why are you so chill around me, what did I do?" You asked.

He began to run his fingers through your hair, relaxing you.

"I've gotten used to you. I don't know what you did, but I know I can trust you for some reason..." he replied.

That was a good enough answer for you.

"Undertaker?"

"(Y/n)... you already know this much..."

There was a pause.

"Just call me Adrian"