Chapter 31 | the experiment

You tilted your head in confusion.

"Experiment?"

"Well you see... these lockets, they mean the world to me. Because the people they represent mean the world to me" he began, holding up the lockets.

You nodded, although still confused.

"And... I've always wanted them to stay with me forever. Even if that can't happen, but they way they all left was short noticed and unfair, they... deserve a second chance"

He wasn't suggesting-

"You don't mean-"

"Yeah, I want to bring them back. And I never had much hope until you showed up. You're living proof that the dead can come back to life, and still be human. You've given me new hope that I'll be able to do it" he said.

"B-but... isn't it against rules of a shinigami? You can't tamper with death?"

This was all very confusing, but very interesting too.

"Yes... but this won't only benefit me, it will benefit shinigami. All those shinigami that are worked day in and day out to reap souls could have much easier lives if this was possible, it could prevent souls from being stolen by demons, it would prevent angels from tampering with human lives, it would do a lot of good, even if the journey to get there is painful" he explained.

"Ok, so what exactly are you doing about this?" You said.

This could be dangerous, you had to make sure e actually had a plan.

"In a month, there's going to be a cruise. I've teamed up with a doctor and I've been working on a device that can make the dead walk. They will act like zombies, but I have to observe them in order to figure out how to bring them back as humans"

"And?"

"There will be a secret meeting on this ship, and the same amount of corpses will be put on as humans. And we'll see how they behave, it may be messy and cause death, but it was written in fate anyway. My only concern is Ciel..."

Of course he'd be worried about Ciel.

"Ciel?"

"Yes Ciel, in the next few days they'll be investing a circus, then a few weeks after that they've made bookings for this ship, since the queen had suspected something going on with this secret society, she's sending Ciel to investigate. I have no intentions to hurt any of the Phantomhives, Lizzy, or any other people he may bring along. But I can't interfere with what they choose to do"

"If you're tampering with dead, wouldn't shinigami be present too?"

"Yes, probably Grell and Ronald. They'll be there for sure. I'm sorry, I know Grell is your friend, and I don't plan on hurting her, but who knows what she'll do, if she makes a wrong move, she may get hurt"

"Well... she is a bit impulsive, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she got hurt" you said.

He looked down at the lockets and sighed.

"So... you don't have to come along for the cruise, but you should probably know I'm doing this. Just don't tell anyone, they'll find out in time" he said.

You took a moment to think, it was a risk, you could get hurt, damage friendships or worse... get friends killed. But you loved Adrian, and if this meant a lot to him, then you'd be willing to go along with it.

"I'm coming with you"

He looked up at you in shock.

"You are?"

"I'm not letting you do this on your own. Plus, after this we'll be on the run for a while, I'm not leaving you with all that pressure" you said.

You were suddenly pulled into a hug and held tightly against his chest.

"Thank you..."