Chapter 2

Tweak POV:

I sit down quickly and put my book and pencil case on the desk, my friends sitting in desks around me.

Nobody's really talking much this week, everyone's too nervous about who they'll get stuck with.
The teacher walked in and slammed her suitcase on the  table making me jump and scream

"AGH! JESUS CHRIST! gAH!"

I feel Craig's hand pat my back from his seat behind me, shaking but feeling more comfortable around him.

Is he gonna stop being there when I get my pairing? He'll have his own to worry about then.

I frown.

" Alright class. As you know, next week is the pairing. The results of the pairing are decided on by both grades and personality, usually the rule " opposites attract" is the basis for the system. For example..."
She turns to write on the board, everyone stares nervously watching " a quiet type with good grades will be paired with a louder type with bad grades, sometimes this can be beneficial to help promote balance and stability in the household. One will always keep the family funds floating, decreasing homelessness"

I see a few people roll their eyes. This system has never worked.
For anyone!
Nobody knows that better than the children of those relationships.

I shiver, my parents hate each other.
Both of them were in love with other people, They never wanted me, but they had to have me.

That's why they hate me. I was the combination of their misery.

The system is horrific.

She went on, tapping her hand on the board " breaking your pairing will result in being reprimanded, imprisoned, sent to labour camps to better use your skills for the good of the species, or in failing that...execution "

I shake violently and twitch " GAH!"

Everyone else stays silent.

Pairing was a curse among curses.

Turning my head I see Clyde is looking over at me, he jumps as his cheeks turn red looking away quickly. Craig responds oddly by throwing a paper ball at his head.

I don't understand anything about what just happened.

Craig POV:

Clyde keeps giving Tweak weird looks, like he's gonna beat him go or something.

Bored I start doodling on my book, drowning out the stupidity of her lecture. What did it matter, we were going to be paired and that's that.

I sigh, staring at the back of Tweaks head, worrying that his partner won't be good to him.

What if they treat him badly? Who's going to calm him down when he has panic attacks?
Who's gonna be there when Cartman tries to beat him up?

Oh god, what if he's with Cartman. The thought is too uncomfortable to bare. His life would be a freakish mess of horrible accident's and constant beatings.

I shake the idea away, no. Even if I'm paired off too, there's no rule saying I can't be his friend still.

I can still be his friend.

Right?