Chapter 14

Craig POV:

If i have to go through one more damn test I swear to god I'm gonna shove my foot up someone's ass....

Its been two weeks since we got here, two whole weeks of random testing.

A few of them I worried we wouldn't pass, at one point I almost walked out. Sometimes I woke up at night and looked at the back of Kenny's hair pretending he was Tweak.

Tweak...

He was only a house away from me, right next door and I couldn't even see him.
I can't bare these stupid tests any longer, some of them seem downright pointless!! I had to make Kenny food, he made me food. One of us had to clean, we looked after each others emotional state. The tests were so obscure and ridiculous that we were starting to think there was no way anyone couldn't pass, unless they were stupid that is.

I lay awake staring at the ceiling, as the house buzzed " test in progress"

Sighing I sit up, Kenny still asleep next to me "what, so tour already testing? Since when? Just now?"

"I cannot disclose any information regarding testing process, other than the knowledge that this test began yesterday"

My eyed widen, the hell does that mean? What's it testing us for now!?

I get up and pull on my shirt,Kenny groans "dude, where are you going?"

I grit my teeth "I don't fucking know okay, just...for a walk around the house. Is that okay house?"

The house buzzed "the garden is the only other green zone, you must not leave the green zone" well at least that's better than nothing.

I turn my head toward Kenny, his dim outline I could barely make out in the dim blur  "you heard the house, I'll be in the garden" and with that I get up flipping him off.

...........

Clank

Opening the back door I step out onto the sterile artificial lawn, ugh...it feels horrible on my feet. I was hoping for a smell of damp earth and the settling of dew on the ground, but you get what you get I suppose.

I tilt my head as I notice a picnic bench and go to sit on it, I end up sitting on the table instead of a seat.
Man I wish I had a cigarette...damn it would really make it feel at least a little easier. There's a very plastic smell in the air...like it was being pumped into the building.

My eyes wander around at the boxed in fake grass, the walls surrounding me are concrete and grey. The sky is a warehouse roof, but it has small skylight windows that tower high above me. If I squint I can just about make out a star or two, damn it I'm getting depressed.
I can't let myself get depressed....

I frown and sigh, running my hands through my black raven hair.

Clank

I jump at the sound, spinning my head to my right and over my shoulder I see him. I finally see him!

The spiky hair of Tweak Tweek behind the concrete wall.

I can't go talk to him, I know what will happen if I do. I desperately hold in the need to run over there and jump the wall, holding him to my chest.

He moves to the picnic bench on his side, I wonder how many nights he'd been out here and I didn't know.
Hes moving kind of slow...

that's weird.

I strain to see his face, but I can't. Damn it Tweak! Sit on the picnic bench so I can see you!

Then, he did just that.

My mouth dropped, he wasn't looking in my direction so he obviously hadn't noticed me, his gaze was tilted toward blankness...he was simply not looking at anything in particular ...but...

B-but his face...!

My hand formed a fist and my knuckles whitened, I grit my teeth trying to hold in the growing rage forming in my gut.

What happened to his face?!

The shadow of a purpleish bruise ran along his brow to his cheek bone. several scrapes on his chin and a busted lip that looked fairly fresh.

I shake my head in sheer terror, how was this happening to him!?, what happened?! How was anyone getting away with that here!?

Of all places!!

My eyes swell with tears as I watch him shake and tremble, my dear friend... Who's going to be there to take care of you in life if not me!?

I turn away dragging my gaze from him, and go inside.

The house buzzed as I stepped in and closed the door wiping my eyes

"congratulations Craig Tucker, you passed"