Chapter 14:

There was a quiet knock on the porch door. Mimi had forgotten that she had locked that door to keep the cold air from coming in.

"John," she glanced up from the cross stitch in her hands, "The door!"

John was resting on the floor of his room, writing on a notepad. Paul was over helping John with a song that they had both been working on.

He heard Mimi once again call his name from downstairs, "For Christ sakes," he pulled off his glasses, throwing them on the notepad, "What do I fuckin' look like? Her bloody butler?"

Paul chuckled as he watched John storm out of the room. He gradually stood up from his place on the floor and stretched his arms up. It was a good time for a break anyway.

"Ya can't answer it yourself then?" John stormed down the stairs as they heard another knock.

Her eyes glanced back down and continued with her cross-stitching, "Don't take that tone with me.  Mozart is on the radio. Besides, it's time you got out of that room of yours."

He huffed at her, opening the door and walked into the glass-panelled porch and quickly opened the black door. His arm fell to the side as his mouth gaped open.

There she was, just the same as he remembered her. Although she looked a bit posher this time, she still seemed like the same girl he fell in love with. Her hair was draped down in the same curls to the crook of her back, wearing a dark navy blue trench coat with gold buttons.

A small smile came to her face as she was finally staring at the man she missed. She dropped her suitcase, stepping forward and threw her arms around his neck.

His arms wrapped around her waist and held her tightly as he breathed her in. God, he missed her smell, and once he breathed her in, it was like home. "I've missed you, my love," he whispered in her ear.

A small tear fell from her face as she parted from their embrace. She grabbed his face, holding it gently in her hands and began to place light kisses on the lips she missed but had not forgotten.

"It's good to be home," she sighed, meeting with his eyes once more, "I've missed you so much."

"John, it's getting rather cold.." Mimi stepped up from behind John, and an instant smile came upon her face, "Well, my dear.."

A smile came to her face as she leaned forward, exchanging a hug to Mimi, "Merry Crimbo!"

"For heaven's sake, come on in! We don't want you to catch a cold!" She stood aside, letting Olivia through the door and into the living room.

"Ay there, Liv. It's been a while," Paul walked up to her, also giving her a warm and welcoming embrace.

She parted from his embrace and glanced around at the smiling faces in the room. Though her family was all gone, they all made her feel like family, "It's so good to be home, I'll tell ya."

Mimi sat down on her favourite red velvet chair and picked up the tea kettle, beginning to pour into one of the teacups, "You've had quite a trip. Do tell us about your many adventures."

She took a seat on the sofa with John joining her by her side, "Oh, there's not a lot to tell. Things are just beginning to get busy."

Mimi exchanged a smile, "Good for you, Olivia. At least you're putting yourself to use," she glanced over at John, setting her teacup on the table, "I'm incredibly proud."

John furrowed his eyebrows, "What's that supposed to mean, then?"

Mimi sighed, neatly placing her hands into her lap, "It's the same thing I've been telling you, John. A guitar and a band is a nice hobby. You're about to start up at university," she looked at him sternly, "It's time you concentrate on your schooling to get a stable job at the end of it."