Chapter 31:

February 25, 1960

It had been almost a month since the lads grouped. Ever since losing Colin Hanton as their drummer, it was difficult for them to keep a consistent and a good one in fact, but they continued to play and write. They maintained the rhythm being mainly in the guitars, even though they still kept their ears and eyes open for a new drummer.

John, Paul, and George were sitting in a booth in the back corner of the Kardomah Café, a little diner that was located just on Church Street. The café was a little more crowded as usual since winter was ending and spring was about to start.

John tugged the collar of his black leather jacket, "Ah, fuck it. I'm out," He groaned as he threw down his hand of cards, running his hand through his greasy quiffed hair.

Paul sighed, leaning back and threw his cards down as well, "You've got us beat on this one, George," He turned to John and noticed he was glancing amongst the diner, with a sort of sadness to him, "What's the matter with you, then?"

John scrunched down into the seat, held an unlighted cigarette in his hand, "Take a look 'ere, Macca. Not a fuckin' lovely bird in this bloody place." He frowned and sighed, "Where did all the real birds go?"

"They all got married," George said with a sly smile on his face, gathering up the cards and placing them back in a deck. He raised one of his dark, thick eyebrows at John, "Why don't you call up that bird you brought to our show. What was her name?"

"Cyn. Ms. Cynthia Powell," his eyes focused on the cigarette he had been twirling in between his fingers, "Ah, well... she's a posh and very nice bird," he paused for a moment, "I'm not into nice birds. I like 'em.. naughty! If ya know what I mean," he chuckled, raising an eyebrow at George.

Paul lit the cigarette in his hand and then inhaled a puff. He peered at John and exhaled it, "Every bird has a naughty side to them, ya know," he chuckled, a slow smile forming on his face, "I thought Dot was always a good girl but not when..."

"Alright now, Macca. Shut it," John clasped the lighter on the table and positioned the cigarette in his mouth.

George carefully placed the deck of cards into his jacket pocket, "A mere sense of jealousy, isn't it Johnny?"

He couldn't help the laughter that came from his mouth, causing him to slightly cough, "Ya just wait now, son. The moment you get yours in, you'll understand it all."

"Don't rush him now, ya know. He doesn't need a bad one for his first," Paul inhaled his cigarette heavily and slowly exhaled it, leaving a cloud of smoke in front of John's face.

John snickered and pushed his tongue to the inside of his bottom lip, making a face at George, "Only tryin' to help. Me first one was when I was fourteen, ya know," he leaned forward and rested his elbow onto the table, "Me first screw was one hell of a job. Couldn't get it in, ya know. She was a dry cow, mind you."

"Jesus, alright then," George grimaced John's way, "I know how it works. Don't need the details."

John slightly tilted, tapping some of the ashes of his cigarette into the ashtray, "Just givin' ya tips, ya ungrateful whopper. Wish I had some of these before me first."

Paul motioned to the waitress passing by for more coffee then turned his attention back to John, "Is right, ya know. But ya gotta be blaggin' me head that Liv was that dull."

"Liv?" John huffed, exhaling cigarette smoke upwards into the air above them, "She wasn't me first; I was her first. Now she was a boss screw. Every. Single. Fucking. Time."

George shifted his eyes to Paul then back to John, trying to figure out what to say next, "Speakin' of, have ya heard from her?"

The subject of Olivia became more sensitive the longer he went without hearing anything from her. It seemed unlikely for her just to ignore him, but perhaps she didn't want John in her life again. He felt terrible she felt guilty and kissing her when he realized he shouldn't have, but he noticed that they both felt something special that was still there between them. Even though he understood she was still married, he couldn't believe she just wanted to shut him out of everything, especially after all these years.