Chapter 35:

Mid-Spring, rising heat, and Liverpool - the city was alive with the sounds of police sirens, blurry conversations while the back streets stood quiet, filled with the scent of lavender and dust.

Saturday brought what felt could have been the longest day of the year. Outside of the Lathom Hall, a group of young men lounged against the cool maroon coloured brick sharing a joint. On the inside of the building was a different vibe. The crowds had already gathered around as a group of five young men stood on the stage, prepping and tuning their guitars.

Just a half-hour prior, John, Paul, George, Stu, Olivia and Dot had been at the Cassanova Club, ready to play their gig for the night. Before the show started there, another band they had once played with before, Cliff Roberts and the Rockers, had accidentally double-booked at Lathom Hall and Cassanova, leaving them out of a gig. After realising the mix-up, Cliff Roberts had suggested for them to take his place here at Lathom Hall instead. They weren't sure if they would be allowed to play but figured it would be worth a try.

With their guitars in hand, they noticed a tall, very well dressed man with dark, short and curly hair approaching them.

"Pardon me. Apologies but there aren't any openings for tonight," he held his hands up to the boys, shaking his head.

"We've come in place of Cliff Roberts and the Rockers, ya see," John scratched the side of his face, "He's feelin' ill and sent us as replacements."

The man carefully eyed each one of them, "Well... then since he won't be showing up, I suppose I can let you play in his place," he extended his hand out, "I'm Brian Kelly, but you can call me Beekay. And you are?"

John grabbed his hand, giving it a quick shake, "We're The Silver Beats."

Beekay pursed his lips, glancing at each one of them with a guitar, then confusingly glancing at Olivia and Dot, "And where's your drummer?"

"We haven't got one," Paul shrugged his shoulder, giving a half smirk, "We're in between drummers at the mo," he chuckled softly but then stopped when he found no smile emerging from Beekay's face.

He rolled his eyes back and annoyingly sighed, "Of course he sends a replacement that doesn't have a drummer," he peered at the other band and waved over a young boy.

The tall, lean and dark-haired boy ran over and stood next to him, "Can I help you with somethin'?"

"Cliff, this is The Silver Beats," he sighed as he introduced them, pointed back to Cliff, "Lads, this is the other Cliff Roberts. He is the drummer for King Size Taylor and the Dominoes, one of the groups playing tonight," Beekay plopped a cigar in his mouth, meeting his eyes with Cliff, "Would you mind backing these lads up?"

Cliff smiled widely, placing his hands in his pockets, "What's your poison?"

"Little Richard, Carl Perkins.." Paul reached into his pocket, taking out a small folded piece of paper, "We've got a set list.."

Beekay clapped his hands once, "The show is about to start so why don't you lads discuss everything with him over there next to the stage?" He smoothed down a wrinkle on his grey suit, "The Deltones will be first, then you lads, then King Size Taylor, is that alright?"

John smiled widely, placing a hand to his forehead and giving him a salute, "Yessir."

"Off with ya then," he shooed his hands to them, seeming utterly and altogether annoyed of all of them already. He turned to the girls, "You ladies have a seat and enjoy the show."

Olivia and Dot stared at the boys wander to the stage. They peered around the room, finding a table on the other end, away from the crowd of girls already gathered towards the stage.