Chapter 33:

Today was supposed to be gloomy. Everything should have been grey and foggy as Olivia's emotions. It should have been cold, rainy and wet but instead, the sun shone brilliantly. The vibrant colours of what could have been mistaken as a spring day under its' glare were very bright and cheerful. How could she feel anything but miserable?

The sun shone down onto the tiny mahogany casket while the minister recited words from a poem. All these deaths were beginning to feel like a tradition to Olivia. It seemed she had been to so many funerals just within five years that it was starting to be something of the norm. She wasn't listening to anything the minister was speaking about at the moment but instead, worrying about why this kept happening to her. What was she doing wrong in life to cause losing all her loved ones?

The minister invited all family and friends to place a red rose onto the casket before a final prayer was to be said. Olivia tried to grab Don's hand, but he instantly pulled away, still refusing to make any eye contact with her. Don was still angry about Olivia inviting Mimi and John over, especially when in his eyes, they technically weren't 'family'.

Once all the roses were placed onto the casket, the Minister once again began to speak, "We also pray for Ava Grace Everly's parents, whose hopes have not been realised. Assure us in our natural questioning that our dear Ava Grace is cradled in your beloved arms. We thank you for the love which surrounded her as she grew, and for your love for all of us which strengthens us. Amen."

"Amen," the crowd replied all in unison. Everyone proceeded to depart from the huddled circle contained within the gravesite.

There were many close friends and family that had been so kind as to travel from so far to attend the funeral of the daughter she barely even knew. As people approached her and Don, she graciously thanked them with a smile, while in reality, the black veil she wore was hiding what her real emotions were inside.

Mimi and John stood near her, also attired in formal black. There was some physical distance between Don and Olivia during the entire funeral, and they both noticed it. John had been through a few funerals with Olivia and remembered how she could be and just reassured Mimi that she would be fine.

"It was such a lovely service," Maggie leaned over to Olivia, wrapping her arms gently around her, "Our prayers are with you."

Olivia returned a smirk as they parted, "Thank you, Maggie. We appreciate everything you've done."

Maggie perked her head up, glancing behind Olivia, "Are these the wonderful people who you've been speaking about?"

She slightly turned and glimpsed at Mimi and John standing behind her, "I'm sorry, I haven't had the chance to introduce them to anyone."

Olivia motioned for Mimi and John to step forward and join them, "I'd like to introduce you to Don's Mum, Maggie."

Mimi stepped forward, extending a hand, "It's a pleasure, Maggie. We've heard so many wonderful things about you and your family."

"Olivia, you never mentioned how lovely your Aunt is," Maggie returned a smile.

"Oh, well that's not me, Aunt, ya see.." Olivia began but was quickly interrupted.

"She's a family friend," Don stepped forward, offering a hand out to Mimi, "So very nice to finally meet the woman my Liv raves on about."

Mimi slightly blushed at him and shook his hand with delight, "It's a wonderful pleasure to meet you," she turned to John, "This is my nephew, John."

Maggie beamed at him while Don did not. The smile on Don's face had disappeared entirely once John's eyes had come in contact with his. There was no softness in that gaze, but a look that conveyed hatred towards John.