Chapter 32:

The sun sank lower as the light of day drained away, giving way to the velvety dark of night. The street lights clicked on as the Black Cadillac passed each block full of homes. Mimi stared out the window in awe, glancing at all the beautifully built and exquisite homes in Nashville. It was completely different than Liverpool in many ways, and so far, America intrigued her.

Her warm breath started to fog up the window she had been staring out of, realising it was starting to get colder outside. She pulled a hand up and swiped the window clean and continued staring out the window.

When at last they arrived, the house was a white blur behind the fogged window. The car once again slowly accelerated and turned down a black paved driveway. Mimi's eyes widened as the car finally drove right up to the side of the large home. The car once again came to its final stop, and the chauffeur quickly got out of the car, making his way around, opening the back passenger door.

Mimi slowly descended from out of the car, standing to her feet with her eyes still fixed onto the house. It was large, indeed, almost intimidatingly so. On climbing out, it seized a more detailed form; it was a wood built home painted a brilliant white. It stood with two stories, four large panelled windows on the main floor on the front of the house with two smaller windows on the second floor. The two white pillars that surrounded the doorway are what caught Mimi's eye.

Mimi turned around with a glare in her eye, "Do I have to drag you in as well?"

John slowly slid out of the seat and stood to his feet, "Can't we just stay at a bed an' brekkie?"

She sighed, placing her hand on her hip, "She went through all this trouble now pick your feet up."

John was tired and hungry. He didn't get enough to eat on the flights nor at the airports. His mood had seemed to become sourer as his eyes gazed upon Olivia's home, and it was just as he suspected it. There was a sense of jealousy that sparked inside him and had wished that he could be able to provide a type of home such as this for someone he loved.

After walking up the pavement to the home, they finally reached the black front door while Mimi placed a few soft knocks on it.

John nervously shoved his hands in his pockets, hoping the door would not open. He wasn't sure how this reunion was going to go, especially after it had been quite some time since he had seen or heard from Olivia.

There was a faint shuffling coming from behind the door, and then the doorknob slowly began to turn.

The door swung open to reveal Olivia standing there in a caramel-coloured dress that draped down to her ankles. Her swollen eyes met Mimi's smile, "Mimi, you made it!"

Mimi's arms immediately embraced around Olivia's tightly, "I'm so sorry, my dear."

The feeling of someone she had always felt as family finally embracing her made her feel comfortable, "Thank you," she whispered, and as her eyes opened, they met with John, who was standing behind Mimi.

Her eyes widened, and a slight smiled appeared as she withdrew from Mimi's embrace. There was so much she wanted to say to him, but nothing was coming out of her mouth. All she knew was that she missed him. A small tear fell down her cheek, unsure what she needed to say.

The moment he laid his eyes on her, he realised that things were not well with her. She was in a simple short-sleeved dress which the colour was very unflattering, her figure appeared swollen as with her feet and ankles, and it looked as if she hadn't slept in days. John felt heartbroken for her and understood she had to be hurting, but he wasn't sure what to do. He still had a chip on his shoulder from her completely shutting him out.