EIGHT

Disclaimer

I have shampoo in my eye.
Enjoy the chapter.

✦

Grace hasn't slept since Harper disappeared. Every inch of her was afraid that if she closed her eyes for even a second, another one of her people would disappear. She was pretty sure Miller could hear her moving around all night long and she was pretty sure he knew she got up just a bit to quickly when one of her friends screamed out at night. She could tell he was worrying, but she couldn't find herself telling him not too. She didn't want to bring it up first.

Letting out a short yawn, Grace pointed at one of the cards in Miller's hands. "Put that one down."

Miller does as he's told, a satisfied smirk appearing on his face when Monty let out a loud sigh. Miller turns to his redheaded friend, holding his hand up for a high five, one she eagerly returned. "I've taught you well."

Grace let's out a small laugh, both of them waiting for Monty to put down a card of his own. Instead of doing so, Monty just stares at the door in silence. Grace turns around slightly, catching sight of Maya and Jasper walking through the door. Isaac follows about a foot behind, obviously trying to keep his distance from the couple. Absentmindedly, Grace reaches over turns the volume up on the radio beside them. When they're sure the volume is loud enough that they won't be heard, she drops her hand to her lap.

"Anything?" Jasper inquires, his voice tinged with desperation. Miller shook his head quickly, the pit in Grace's stomach growing larger. "Keep looking. Whatever happened to Harper, someone must've seen something."

"How many places could she be? We're in a sealed bunker."

"Really? I never noticed," Grace let's out sarcastically. She catches everyone's worried expression— she was usually sarcastic when she was worried or tired. Or angry. She winces. "Sorry."

"It's fine," Jasper mutters. "There has to be rooms we don't know about, places that aren't mapped."

"Well?" Miller turns to Isaac. "Is it possible."

Isaac shares a look with Maya before shaking his head. "I doubt it, but maybe."

"Thanks, you're both big helps," Miller utters, rolling his eyes. Grace knows he trusts Isaac— maybe not Maya, but Grace figured he would come around eventually— and he was just worried about his friend.

Grace glances towards Monty, noticing he was now hunched over the map Maya had given them. She bites her lip, running a hand through her hair. She could feel the nervous sweat gathering on the back of her neck but they had taken the buckle Roma had given her before she even woke up in quarantine, and they never gave one to her afterwards. She was kind of getting tired of having it down, actually. And she missed the braids Bellamy did for her sometimes, back at the camp.