NINE

Disclaimer

Intense chapter, guys. Have fun reading it and don't forget to mentally prepare yourself for the next few chapters. There will only be around thirteen, take from that what you will ;)

✦

Grace's hands twist nervously in front of her, her stomach feeling as though it was filled with lead. Monty has been missing for two days, Harper even longer than that. Both Isaac and Maya were unable to find them, but Grace had a feeling that President Wallace was keeping them far away from the harvest chambers.

There was no way he didn't know about Maya and Jasper trusting each other, or Grace and Isaac trusting each other for that matter, so he wouldn't have hidden them in a place Maya could easily check. He wasn't stupid.

Catching sight of the pale guard uniform just turning a corner, Grace twists her body in a strange way and begins jogging after the man. "Isaac? Wait up!"

She watches as he freezes in his spot, turning on his heel to send his friend a smile. "Hey, what's up?"

"Just walking around, there's not much else to do," Grace sighs, crossing her arms over her chest. She glances down at his uniform, her mouth forming a small 'o' shape. "Sorry, were you headed towards the mess hall?"

Isaac nods, running his hand through his hair in annoyance. "Yeah, President Wallace switched out my schedule. I'm not sure why, but I'm on mess hall duty for the next week."

Grace sucks in a breath, stepping forward with her lips dipped down. "Do you think. . ?"

Isaac firmly shakes his head. "No way. If Dante had any reason to believe I was against him in whatever the hell is going on, he wouldn't just put me in the mess hall. I probably would have disappeared, too," a frown settles on his face when he catches the slight panic that flickered through her usually guarded eyes. He places a hand on her bicep, waiting for her green eyes to lock on his before speaking softly. "Hey, don't worry about me, alright? I'll be okay."

Grace sucks her trembling bottom lip into her mouth. How could she not worry about him? They've gotten even closer these past few weeks and she couldn't bear it if he got hurt because of her. She couldn't let that happen. Frowning, Isaac removed his hand from her bicep and took a step back. "It's between classes right now, if you would like to bring Rebecca back to the dorm to see your drawings. She's been asking about you ever since you came to our complex the day before yesterday. Mom, too."

"Really?" Grace smiles in amusement. She was glad for the change in topic. She couldn't deal with that now. "Yeah, I'll go get her now. Thanks for letting me know. Have fun in the mess hall," Grace sends him a toothy grin. She knew all about how much he hated that unit, he spoke about it a lot.