Chapter 4 - Rishta (Proposal)

...Riddhima opened the front door and dropped her bag at the doorstep; she breathed in a warm delicious smell coming from the kitchen; she smiled and quickly rushed into the kitchen where Padma was preparing snacks for their guests.

"Hi mama..." Riddhima hugged her from the back.

Padma smiled; "Hi beta...how was your first day back?"

"Don't ask mama..." she huffed as she remembered her lessons with Armaan, then she mumbled under her breath; "...stupid..."

Padma quickly turned to her with a raised eyebrow at her not letting her finish her sentence; "Kisi ke saath jagda huwa tha kya?" (Did you have an argument with someone?)

Riddhima sighed; "Nahi mama...bas aise hi..." (No mama...it was nothing really...)

Padma shook her head and turned back to her work; "Acha toh phir jao aur dekh ke Anjali tayar huwe ke nahi..." (Okay fine...go and see if Anjali is ready yet...)

Riddhima smiled excitedly; "Oh yeah...dii..."

Riddhima walked out of the kitchen, picking up her bag where she left it she made her way into the huge living room; half of it was a formal seating area and the other half had a small study table under another set of stairs with a desktop and a neat bookshelf with files and books. A 32" television hung on the wall a little away from the study table, a three seat sofa faced the television with a coffee table in the middle and near the end of the living room had an entrance to the conservatory.

She immediately noticed someone sitting over in the study area near the conservatory, she rushed over and hugged him around his neck and leaned onto him giving him a tight hug.

"PAPA! You're very early today..." Riddhima squealed.

Shashank turned around in his chair and accepted her hug; "Riddhima beta..." he smiled at her; "...yes...I had to be early today...jao...jaldi se tayar ho jao aur hum baad main baat karenge..." (Go and get ready quickly...we'll talk later...)

She nodded; "Okay..."

Riddhima ran up the stairs and rushed into her room to see Anjali standing by the dresser looking into the mirror fixing her makeup; she was wearing a black and silver Anarkali suit and looked stunning.

Riddhima stood by the door admiring her sister; "Wah...wah...wah...dii...you're looking so beautiful!!!"

Anjali turned around; "Ridzi...you're back...I've been waiting for you for ages..." she walked towards her and gave her a hug.

"Are you sure dii...aap mere intazar kar rahi thi...ya phir unka?" (You were waiting for me...or for him?) Riddhima teased.

"RIDZI!" Anjali blushed.

"Sach main (Really) dii...you are looking soo beautiful...he will just look at you and say yes!"

Riddhima placed her hand up to her eye; she wiped off some of her kajal (kohl) and smudged it behind Anjali's ear; "Haye...nazar na lag jaye meri dii ko..." (May you be protected from the evil eye)

Anjali smiled; "Thanks Ridzi...ab jao aur jaldi se tayar ho jao..." (Now go and get ready quickly)

Riddhima sulked; "Everyone is telling me the same thing...but they're not coming to see me!"

Anjali smiled at her little sister; "Riddhima...yeh natak band kar aur jao..." (Drop your drama queen act now)

She nodded giggling; "Okay dii...I'll be back soon..."

Riddhima walked towards her cupboard, she took out a pink salwar kameez and went into the washroom.

In the mean time Anjali had started pacing up and down the room as her nerves had kicked in, she walked out onto the small balcony outside of their room. She was extremely nervous by the time Riddhima came out of the washroom; she looked around the room while she dried her hair with the towel.