Chapter 11 - Sangeet

Hey everyone...I'm so sorry that I haven't been updating...but I'm back now and I'm looking forward to reading your comments as the story progresses...enjoy :)

...The next day was the Sangeet function at the Malik house. A neighbour and close family friend of the Malik family had come down to London for the functions and wedding; they were very close and almost the only family they had. The function was taking place during the evening but the Gupta family was there a little earlier; Anjali and Riddhima sat in the living room while preparations were taking place, then Atul came down and sat in the living room with Anjali.

"Main abhi ayi..." (I'll be right back) Riddhima excused herself; she stood up wanting to leave the love birds alone for a while.

Anjali called after her quietly; "Where are you going?"

"Kebab main haddi nahi banna chahti..." (I don't want to be a third wheel) she smiled sweetly at Atul.

Anjali became shy as Riddhima walked out of the room and left her alone with Atul. Now that they were alone Atul looked at Anjali for a long while and then finally broke the silence; "Aaj tum bohot achi lag rahi ho..." (You look very nice today)

Anjali couldn't help but blush; "Thanks..."

...Riddhima went into the kitchen where she witnessed Armaan talking to an older lady; "Abhi bhi naraz hain mujhse?" (She's still angry with me?) he asked her.

They lady nodded; "Bohot (very) ...I tried very hard to make her understand...par tum toh usse janti ho na..." (but you know what she's like)

Armaan gave a brief smile; "Haan...bohot ziddi hain..." (Yeah...very stubborn) but then he became serious again; "...but...it's not my fault...it wasn't my decision..."

"Jaanti hoon beta...tum phikar mat kar...waqt ke saath woh samaj jayegi... (I know son...don't worry...with time she will understand) ...don't worry about it..." she told him.

Juhi walked into the kitchen carrying a tray but she stopped when she saw Riddhima standing at the door; "Riddhima beta...kya huwa...?" (What happened?) she asked bringing Riddhima out of her thoughts.

Armaan and the lady looked over at the door to where they were standing.

Riddhima smiled; "Kuch nahi aunty...main bas..." (Nothing Aunty...I was just) she took the tray from Juhi with a smile; "...madat karne ayi thi...agar kuch bhi kaam ho toh mujhe bata dena... (came to help out...please tell me if there's anything I can help you with) ...where should I put this?" she gestured to the tray in her hand.

Juhi shook her head; "Riddhima beta...you're our guests...you shouldn't be doing any work...and Armaan's here...he will help me out..." She looked over at Armaan who was chilling, eating a banana and listening to their conversation.

"It's okay aunty I'll do it...waise bhi main wahan pe bored ho rahi thi isliye main yahan par agayi...yeh kahan raku?" (I was just a bit bored over there so I came here...where should I put this?) she asked again.

"Table par raklo..." (Put it on the table) she told Riddhima then looked at Armaan; "...kuch seek..." (learn something)

"Kitni pyari bachi hain..." (She's a really sweet child) the lady said looking at Riddhima.

"Ayi aap bhi?" (Ayi you as well?) Armaan turned to her in shock; "...Pyaari nahi pagal hain...pagal kaane se bhaag kar ayi hain...sab ka dimag khati hain...aap bhi bachke rehna..." (She's not sweet she's mad...she ran away from the mental asylum...she chews everyone's brains...you should be careful as well)