Chapter 9: Mr. Septic-Tank-Man

"Ashley" I heard Nick shout as they found us, I turned my head when I felt a hand on my shoulder and sighed happily when I saw Wade behind me "I got her," he told me as he took Carly's weight off me.

I looked up to see Nick looking down at me concerned and started to walk down the hill to get me "I'm ok" I tell him as he pulls me to him and back up the hill to where the others were stood.

"Your bleeding babe," Nick told me as he looked my head and arms "Yeah I'm not great at falling down steep hills" I joked as I felt my head "Ouch" I groaned when it stung.

"There's a road kill pit down here," Dalton said stating the obvious to us "No shit" I muttered as I put my arms around Nick feeling safe again.

"Yeah, that smells about right" Nick groaned sounding like he was going to be sick before looking down at me "are you sure you're okay?" he asked me pulling me away from his chest so he could look at me again.

I nodded my head slowly "Yeah I'm good, just hurt my head and my everything else" I laughed as I looked at the scratches on my arms "You'll be bruised for the next week" Dalton joked as he looked at them too.

I could hear Blake asking Paige if she was okay making me roll my eyes, she didn't do anything to help "You okay Carls?" I asked my best friend softly when I saw Wade pulling her back up the hill.

"Yeah thanks for the help back there," she said to me looking at me with a gratefully making me nod "no worries" I looked at her clothes seeing they were covered in blood and whatever else was in that pit.

I could hear humming sound which came from the pickup truck that just pulled up on the other side of the pit, it kinda looked like the truck from last night but there was no way he could have fixed his head light that quick.

"Hey, is that the truck from last night?" Blake asked pointing in the direction of the dirty looking pickup truck "Not unless he fixed his headlight" I said to everybody voicing my previous thought.

We all watched silently as a redneck looking guy get out of the truck and grabbed a dead deer from the back of the truck "Hey!" Blake shouted at the redneck guy to get his attention.

"Don't you see that?" Carly said pointing to a human looking hand which I had only just realized was there "What is that?".

The redneck man walked over all the road kill and grabbed the hand pulling it as we all watched wide-eyed, maybe some serial killers like the Hewitt family from the Texas chainsaw massacre live out here, god I hope not that would be a shit start to the day.

"No way" Wade whispered in disbelief that this man was pulling a hand from dead animals "What are you doing, man?" he called to the redneck as he stood in the middle of the pit.

The guy had pulled the hand from the pile of road kill making us all sigh in annoyance when we realized that he was joking and the hand wasn't even real."Anyone need a hand?" The redneck guy said waving the hand around laughing.

"I'm just fooling. It's not real, see" he said hitting the back of the hand making a tapping noise "God" Carly whispered in annoyance we had only just woken up and she was covered in blood nearly having a heart attack.

"I found it on the side of the road a few weeks ago," the guy said as if we were still talking to him, Carly walked over to Paige and tried brushing herself down, I saw Paige give Carly some water to wash her hands with.

"What are you guys doing here?" the redneck asked us giving us a wide smile showing us his dirty teeth as my inner distrust started to flare up "We were all camping up through those trees," Wade told the guy making me glare at him.