Dinner

Angelica's POV

"Well?" Gamora asked. She was leaning into the table and eyeing me with a playful smirk. I knew what she was talking about, but I would rather pretend like I have no idea. Not that she can't see right through me. "Well what?" I looked at her, confused. Leela laughed. "Edgar, silly! Edgar Redmond? You met him thirty minutes ago?" 

I laughed. Even Ignasia looked interested in what I had to say. "What about him?" I asked. They were growing impatient and I was loving it. "Do you like him? It seems as though you've taken a liking to him," said Ignasia. "Alright, I'll tell you. Just keep your voices down, because they're on the other side of the table. Hmm . . . I guess. He's quite handsome. And he is very nice. Charming and funny, too. But . . . " Gamora was waiting for a continuation. "But? But what?" 

I shook my head. "If I were to fall in love with him, he probably wouldn't like me. He is related to the Viscount of Druitt. He must be used to many girls swooning over him. I wouldn't be anything new." It wasn't like I was in love with him already, but I just had a feeling that as we grow closer, I might grow fond of him. Too fond.

And that probably won't end well for me. Nor for my heart.

I grew quiet as the rest of my friends were chatting. I could feel eyes on me, but no one seemed to notice. I looked to the other side of the table, and saw the prefects. Bluer, Violet, and Greenhill were talking amongst themselves. Then I saw him.

Edgar Redmond. Staring. At me.

I smiled as he smiled back. I turned my head away quickly so that my hair would fall in front of my face, covering my blush. Is it weird that I've already grown slight feelings for him after thirty minutes? I don't know. I just can't let my feeling get the best of me.

I listened in on my friends' conversation. "She punched my throat in the face," said Gamora. Her humor was stupidly funny. I giggled, Ignasia smiled, and Leela said, "I --- what?" Leela started laughing, and I saw Bluer turn his head and smile in her direction. It was subtle. 'Ooh la la' I thought. "Who? Who punched you in the face?" Gamora turned to me. "My little sister. Letticia. When we were on break before we came here, my sister told me that she had made a song for me." 

I was growing intrigued. "What? How'd it go?" Ignasia's smile grew wider, and Leela was holding back her laughter. "It went like this," Gamora said, "Gamora is a rat that acts like a brat and no one likes that." I burst into laughter, as did the other three. "Would that even be considered a song?" I asked through giggles. "No, it wouldn't! I told Letticia that, and she said that it'd be a poem. I told her it wouldn't even be a poem, and that it'd be a run on sentence. She got mad and punched me in the throat." All of us starting laughing, as Gamora continued her story.

"My throat was hurting, so I went around the house screaming things. I recall saying, "This is just another day that I CANNOT speak English!" and "English speak cannot I." So that was my break." All three of us burst into laughter. We spent the rest of our dinner eating and laughing hysterically. Occasionally, I could've sworn that I saw Edgar look at me with a smirk. I doubt it though. I'm probably just seeing what I want to see.

A gentleman like Edward would never fall in love with a young lady like me.