Head Over Heels

The door to the music room opened, the sound of heeled boots echoing around in the empty space. Chantel Leclair opened up her folder and pulled out her sheet music, carefully reading the notes. She grabbed her assigned violin from the closet and sat down the piano. She played the keys, tuning the violin to match the different pitches.

Chantel nodded in approval after playing a few notes of her favorite song, "Pavane Pour Une Infante Défunte," by Maurice Ravel. Her violin was in tune. Chantel strolled over to the closet, placed her violin back in its spot, and walked back to the piano. She played the song, occasionally humming along. 

Her fingers brushed the keys, bringing the music out of them with great passion. The music was beautiful, its soft melody floating through the halls. 

Cheslock was heading over to the music room to relax and play his violin. He got a surprise when he heard the beautiful tune that flowed down the hall as he got closer to his destination. When he was finally in front of the door, he could hear the music loud and clear. Cheslock was in love with the melody.

Cheslock leaned against the wall and rested his head back, letting the music take control of his thoughts. He stayed like that for a while, lost in his thoughts of different songs and how sweet the sound of the piano was. He decided he would walk in the room to see who had blessed his ears. 

Chantel was so focused on playing the piano, that she didn't notice when Cheslock walked into the room and stared straight at her. He felt like his heart had skipped a beat. He had already taken a liking to Chantel, but seeing her so absorbed in the music made him fall for her even more. He loved how her lavender hair fell in front of her face, how fingers delicately flew across each key, how her eyes were closed, giving her long eyelashes their moment in the spotlight. Cheslock sighed and walked over to the violin closet.

When she heard the sweet tune of the violin, Chantel opened her eyes and smiled when she saw Cheslock following along, playing each note with ease and perfection. He looked up from the strings and smiled at her, winking in the process. She chuckled and continued to play the rest of the song.

"Pavane Pour Une Infante Défunte. You have good taste," Cheslock said once they had finished playing. He was packing his violin back in its case. 

Chantel smiled wide. "Thank you, good sir," she said, making Cheslock smirk. "It's always been my favorite song. It's really nice to play on the piano." 

"Is the piano your favorite instrument?" asked Cheslock. Chantel shook her head.

"No, it's the violin." She was picking up her sheet music and placing it back in its folder, missing the blush that appeared on Cheslock's face for a few seconds.

"It is? Woah! It's my favorite, too!" Cheslock said happily. Chantel, finished putting her sheet music back, got up from her seat with a huge smile. She laughed.

"Really? Isn't it just the best instrument?" Cheslock nodded happily and the two laughed together. Cheslock was really into her, especially now.

"I have yet to hear you play the violin. I'm willing to bet you're one of the best players there is," he said. Cheslock was the best player at Weston, with fingers that could master any instrument. He had a feeling Chantel was the same.

"I'm not so sure about that. I admitted into St. Albany's because of my singing voice."

Cheslock smiled. 'Woah, she's . . . perfect!'

Chantel smiled when she saw Cheslock staring at her in awe. She smirked and waved her hand in front of his face, knocking him out of his trance. 

"You okay?"

Cheslock chuckled nervously and scratched the back of his head. "Ha, yeah. I'm . . . perfectly fine."

Chantel flashed him one of her best smile, one her prettiest ones. Cheslock was pretty sure that he was flying.

"Well, I've gotta go. That homework's not gonna finish itself. Besides, I need to work pretty hard in biology. I finished that study guide that Professor Daniels gave us, but when I was about to turn it in, I pulled out the wrong one. I started to look for the right one, but he picked up last week's. So, I'm fairly certain my grade has been butchered." Cheslock laughed. Chantel had such a great sense of humor, and her stories were hilarious.

"You're bloody brilliant." Cheslock realized a moment to late that he had said that out loud.

"What was that?" 

"Uh, nothing! Just . . . those damn study guides. I feel your pain," he said. He wanted to throw himself out the window. 

"Right . . ." Chantel looked at him quizzically. "Well, I'd better be off. Bye now!" Chantel waved at him and walked over to the exit. She was almost out the door when--

"Wait, Chantel!"

Cheslock stood up from his seat and walked towards Chantel. "Yes?"

Cheslock sighed nervously, but mustered up the courage and asked, "Would . . . you like to go to the dance with me?"

Cheslock was prepared for rejection. In his mind, a beautiful girl like her probably already had a date. That's why his eyes went wide when Chantel replied, "I'd love to, Cheslock." With that and a smile, she was gone.

Cheslock smiled and shouted in glee. "Yes!" He pumped his fist in the air.

 Cheslock was head over heels for Chantel.