Familiar

Edward was walking through the halls of the Midford manor. Normally, he would've spent time with his sister, Elizabeth Midford, but something had been on his mind lately. It bothered him, and he was losing sleep over it.

There was something oddly familiar about Devin Jones. 

School was going to be back in session soon, and Edward wanted to figure out where he had heard of Devin Jones before. He decided that he would go and ask his mother, the marchioness. Frances Midford knew everyone that Edward knew. 

Edward knocked on the door to his parents' bedroom. 

"Come in," Edward heard. It was his mother. He pushed open the door and walked over to his mother, who was searching through her closet. 

"Oh, Edward. What is it, dear?" Frances asked kindly, yet her eyes never left the  many articles of clothing in her closet.

"Mother, I was wondering if you could help me."

Frances still had her eyes glued to her many dresses, taking some of them out and laying them on the bed, inspecting them. "I'll do my best," she said.

"Do you know of a girl named Devin Jones?"

Frances finally looked up from the dresses. She looked at Edward with wide eyes silently. Edward stood still and confused, wondering if he had said something wrong. His mother looked at the dresses again, then back at Edward. She approached him and rested her hands on his shoulders, looking him straight in his eyes. Her eye looked like deep pools of sorrow when she looked at him.

"Edward . . . you really don't remember her?" Frances's voice was quiet and soft when she asked him. Edward remained silent.

Frances shook her head and backed away to her dresses. "Devin Jones. Ah, I remember her. How could I forget her? I really am surprised you did, Edward."

Edward looked down, ashamed. Frances continued.

"You and Devin were very close when you were little. I was, and still am, friends with her mother, Emiline Jones. We would always visit each other at our homes. Every time we visited the Jones manor, your father and I would bring you along. You and Devin got to know each other and became very close friends. You two were always somewhere laughing together."

Edward smiled, but his memories still weren't coming back to him. Frances still went on. "You two actually were enrolled in the same elementary school. But that was the only school you were together in. After that, our families got busy, so unfortunately time for visiting could never be made. Emiline and I still write letters to each other, but we haven't seen each other in person in a while. How I miss her . . ." 

Edward tried to think of Devin and the little memories they shared. They slowly started to come back to him.

Devin held her sword tight as she pointed it at Edward. Edward smirked slightly, doing the same with his.

"I challenge you to a duel!" Devin exclaimed over confidently. Edward smiled happily at her.

"Let's see how this goes," he said.

"Easy! I'll win. Like I always do!" The cute little Devin waved her sword around and laughed.

"We'll see about that."

And so the duel began . . .

Edward's eyes widened when he realized who she was. "We used to duel together." Frances smiled, happy her son remembered his childhood friend. 

"Yes! The two of you always dueled. Devin was quite the bold one when it came to those fencing matches."

Edward smiled. "I can't believe that I forgot about her." Edward mumbled to himself looking ashamed again. Well, he had gotten his answer, so he decided he would head back to his room.

"Thank you, mother. I'll be going now." Edward turned around to head back to his room, when his mother suddenly stopped him.

"Not so fast, Edward." Edward turned around to face his mother, who had a serious look on his face.

"I take it you saw her at your school. Devin has a good memory, I'm sure she hasn't forgotten about you. She must've been so hurt when you walked past her without so much as a recognition. When you go back to college, do apologize to her. I want you two to catch up and become close again. Is that clear?"

Edward nodded. "It is, mother. I'll do so." With that, Edward walked away to his room. Once he was inside, he sat down on the edge of his bed, thinking about the childhood friend that left such an impact on his mother, the one that was so important. 

The one that was impossible to forget. The one that he managed to forget. 

Edward shook his head, upset with himself for doing such a thing. 'She must be so angry with me.' 

Edward laid down on his bed, staring at the ceiling. He sat like that for a while, his mind completely blank, until Devin entered his thoughts.

He stayed that way for what seemed like forever, smiling and laughing to himself as the best memories of little Devin flooded back to his head.