It's Been Arranged (Leela)

3rd Person

Leela woke up two days later to the sound of chirping birds. The bright sunlight shine down on Leela's face, and the curtains were drawn back.

'Did I not close the curtains?' Leela thought.

She shrugged the thought off and threw her covers off herself. Leela felt a chill down her spine, since she was coming home for Christmas. It was sunny, but very cold out. She regretted wearing such a thin blue nightgown.

She ran out of bed and went straight to her closet. She quickly changed into a much warmer cotton nightgown and walked to the sink to brush her teeth. She lazily pulled her short blue hair back and tied it with a ribbon, leaving her bangs out.

Once she was freshened up, she walked downstairs and into the kitchen, expecting to hear her sisters noisily arguing and laughing, while her parents scolded them. She was surprised when she heard very hushed conversation coming form the kitchen's dining table. When she walked in, things went completely silent.

"Good morning everyone . . ." Leela looked at her sisters in confusion, then at her mother and father.

"Is . . . something wrong?" Leela asked hesitantly.

Her mother closed her eyes and sighed. "Leela, dear. Have a seat. We have to discuss an important matter with you." Leela obeyed and took a seat across from her parents. Leela's sisters quietly went upstairs to their rooms, leaving Leela all alone.

"What is it you needed to discuss with me?" She asked nervously. 

Leela's parents shared a look and turned back to Leela.

"Leela. It has come to our attention that your school decided to move you to Weston for a semester, am I correct?" asked Leela's mother. She nodded.

"Since then, we've noticed a change in you. You're not . . ." Her mother trailed off, trying to choose her words wisely. Leela could feel the frustration bubbling inside of her.

"I'm not what?" She demanded an answer. Her father decided to continue for his wife.

"Recently, we've noticed that you were unable to comply with our requests. When we tell you to do something, you always have to argue with us. We think this is because you are around boys at Weston." 

Leela was stunned. 

'This is outrageous!' She thought. Leela never argued with her parents. All she did was have her voice heard. Whenever her parents were debating something with their children, they normally had the final say. Now, Leela was more open and voiced her opinion. Her parents didn't seem to understand.

"And of course, you are at the age where you can marry. The thing is, we don't know if we can trust you anymore to find someone who is good for you." 

Leela didn't like the sound of that. She thought this was a big jump. First her parents were saying she was being disobedient, and now they were talking about marriage and that she's untrustworthy? Her frustration was quickly replaced by anger.

"Which is why we've decided to put you in an arranged marriage. You're new husband-to-be and his parents and sisters are coming today. He's a prefect from Weston college. We've picked a real gentleman. He's kind and handsome. On top of that, he's intelligent. As intelligent as our family." Leela's mother chose the wrong words there.