A Long Journey

"Adam!" 

Leela heard footsteps running down the staircase of her home. She turned around to see her the small boy she was expecting standing behind her with a bright smile. Her son. 

"Yes, mother?" the five-year-old boy asked with an innocent smile. His eyes were bright, happiness clear on his face. Leela smiled down at the boy. 

"Honey, sit down at the table. As soon as your father comes down, we can eat." She watched Adam take a seat and patiently wait. Leela smiled at him and walked up the stairs. She reached the study and knocked quietly. 

"Come in," a voice said. Leela opened the door and smiled at her husband, Lawrence. 

"Dear, I made dinner. It's ready," she said. Lawrence smiled and put his papers down. He got out of his seat, strolled over to Leela and gave her a kiss on the cheek. 

"Ah, thank you, sweetheart." Lawrence and Leela walked down the stairs and ate their dinner together with their son. A real family. 

"So, have we heard anything from the others?" Lawrence asked in their shared bedroom. Adam was fully asleep, peacefully wandering around in dreamland. 

"Yes, actually. I got a letter from Ignasia. She and Gregory are expecting another baby," Leela said. "She said that Belinda is delighted." Belinda was Ignasia and Gregory's only daughter. She was 7 years old and was quite happy to know she'd have a younger sibling. 

Lawrence smiled. "Gregory always told me he wanted two children of his own." He looked at the ceiling, recalling the fun times he'd had with Gregory, his close friend. 

"And Greenhill? Redmond?" 

"They're doing well, so are their children." Leela smiled. 

"I got a letter from Clayton. He and Cecily are actually married now. So are Cheslock and Chantel. He also said that Rosemarie and Joanne have gotten married, as well. " Leela clapped her hands together excitedly. 

"Really? That's amazing!" Leela smiled brightly. 

Lawrence chuckled. "That's not all. We got an invitation to the Midford baby shower. Devin and Edward are expecting a baby, too." Leela laughed happily. Se was filled with joy. 

"Our friends have come a long way," Leela said. Lawrence smiled and nodded. "They have," he said, slinging his arm around Leela's shoulder. 

"It's been a long journey. And now we have new beginnings."