Ch. 20: Past and Present

Claire, Kali, and I were in the library again, only this time instead of doing personal research, we were looking up information for a paper we had to write for our Vampire History class. It wasn't due for another week but Ms. Berg was a notoriously hard grader and we all wanted to make it the best we could before turning it in, Kali especially.

Malik had been gone a few days already and I missed his absence terribly. We had been spending so much time together, either after class or late at night, that part of me felt hollow that I couldn't follow the routine I had grown so fond of. The more I was around him, the more I realized that while he could be a bossy, full of himself asshole, there was also a sweet, gentle side that he hid away for only a select few to see. With so many people gunning for him, it was understandable why he wouldn't want to show his weak spots.

That made it even more special that he quit hiding from me. From the feelings we shared. I knew our relationship made him vulnerable since if an opponent couldn't get to him, I was an easier target. He'd decided I was worth the risk and what more could be said? Getting to see the man behind the mask made me more determined to be a good Pet. Someone worthy to stand next to such a powerful presence.

"This report is going to kill me," Claire huffed, flinging the book she'd been scanning onto the table. It landed with a loud thump, making several heads turn in our direction. The library was busier than usual, with everyone sharing the same mindset we had.

"It's not that hard," Kali advised, not bothering to look up from her text, absentmindedly reaching up to adjust her glasses. They were always slipping down her face. "All you're doing is writing about a Chancellor. Just pick one."

"But they're all boring," Claire whined. She reached up to rub her forehead with a grimace. "I'm getting a headache."

I was watching in amusement when I felt someone come up behind me. Claire wrinkled her nose in disgust, a good indication of who it was.

"Look who it is, girls. Nerds in their natural habitat."

Claire sneered at Pearl's stupid insult. "Cute. Think of that yourself or did you read it off the back of a cereal box?" She playfully nudged my shoulder with a smirk. "Who am I kidding? We all know you can't read without pretty pictures."

Sasha leaned over Pearl's shoulder, long brown hair swaying in a ponytail. "Well, at least she's not a pig playing dress-up. Why don't you go back to the dump where you belong?" I blinked in surprise. That was the first time I had heard her talk and it was just as irritating as I imagined. A weird mix of nasally and valley girl that made you wish you could duct tape her mouth closed.

A tick started forming at the corner of Claire's eye, a sign that she was about done playing nice. "I'm going to give you three seconds to get out of my face before I ruin that nose job I'm sure your daddy spent a small fortune on."

"I haven't had any work-"

"One."

The group scampered off before Claire could count to two, more bark than actual bite. They still seemed to forget that there was no one to hide behind here or else they wouldn't provoke a hothead like Claire. I doubted they had an actual death wish. She leaned back in her chair, radiating satisfaction as she gathered her things. "That was fun but I gotta bounce."

"Already?" I asked. "You haven't even picked a subject."

She shrugged her shoulders. "I'll figure it out." She took a few steps and paused, turning back to me. "You think you can come by my room later on?"

"Sure." My gut instinct told me I'd finally get some answers and the prospect was exciting. I didn't want to come off too strong though, in case it made her hesitate. Kali was blissfully unaware of what happened and I figured Claire would want to keep it that way for a little longer as well.