Ch. 29: Ghostly Shadows

Hope you're ready! This chapter kicks off some major events in the book!

They found her body early Saturday morning.

I woke up to Renee rushing into the dorms, ordering us to stay put. Something had happened and classes were canceled until announced otherwise. I had never seen the normally put-together woman so frazzled as she called us all into the sitting room to give us the news. Whatever it was had shocked her to the core and she wanted to go back as fast as she could to learn as much as possible.

Rumors bounced around as we all tried to figure out what it was after she left, most of us not bothering to change since we had gotten a free day. We hung out in the common room, a sense of ease forming by sticking together. No one said it but it felt vulnerable being alone. "Do you think we are being attacked?" One girl asked her friend, terror turning her face a ghostly white. "I don't want to die here! What would my parents think?"

"You aren't going to die," Her friend said with a roll of eyes. "If it were that bad, they would have the whole place on lockdown instead of confining us to the dorms. Something happened that they don't want us seeing is all."

"I dunno," A third girl joined in from where she was peeking out the blinds. "A whole lotta people are walking around, most in some kind of uniform. Why do that if it wasn't really bad?"

Other girls rushed to the windows to see what little they could, curiosity getting the better of them and new ideas and theories replaced the old with the added details.

Kali, Claire, and I hung out in one of the corners away from the commotion, listening to the different conversations going on with little interest. One thing I had learned since coming to Rigryce was how easily excited my classmates became. It got old fast. "What do you think happened?" Kali asked in a trembling voice, nibbling on a piece of fruit that had been dropped off along with several trays of other breakfast foods to keep herself busy. She was trying to hold in her panic, using her logical mind to rationalize, but I could tell she was reaching her breaking point.

"Who knows?" Claire snapped back. "With this damn school, it could be anything."

"How could anything have happened in the first place? Isn't Rigryce's location secret?"

"To humans. Vampires can trapeze in and out to their heart's content. Remember the balls? All the upper crust elites we rubbed elbows with?" Claire sneered, not bothering to hide her disgust for the well-groomed elites.

"Oh, yeah." Kali's eyes widened. "You don't think it was a vampire, do you?"

"It's the only thing that makes sense so far."

Kali wilted in on herself, trembles working their way up from her hands until her whole body was faintly trembling from fear. I gave Claire a look she pretended not to see, irritated she would provoke Kali knowing exactly how she would react and that I would have to wind her back down.

"There's no use worrying about it," I pointed out, cutting into the increasingly tense situation as I snagging a slice of cantaloupe from Kali's plate. "They have a point. It can't be that bad if we're only stuck in the dorm for a little bit. I'm sure there are safe rooms hidden on campus if we were really in danger."

"I just... don't like not knowing," Kali whispered, clenching her fists to her stomach. Almost as if she were fighting off a wave of nausea.

"None of us do. But it's our only option till Renee comes back."

Kali, still obviously frightened, gave a jerky nod before turning to her food, picking at it instead of eating it.

Claire slouched back in her recliner, sighing loudly. "The only thing that sucks is that there is nothing to do. I would rather be stuck with you-" indicating Kali- "in the library than be in here all day."