Ch. 33: Snow in Summer

Malik's P.O.V

The phone rang.

As I waited for the person on the other line to pick up, I stared out the massive windows into the courtyard where Eden and Eli were practicing defensive moves. While he wasn't nearly as good as I was, he was more patient and had the gentle touch a true beginner as my female needed. Her face twisted in frustration as her back landed on the grass once again and he held out a hand to help her up.

She was getting better at deflecting his moves but still got knocked down eight out of ten times.

"Hello?" A feminine voice said, pulling my head back to the phone in my hand.

"Hey, Nadia."

A short pause and then, "... Malik?"

"You're good at this game," I teased, instantly reminded of the soft spot I had for her. It was rare for me to warm up to people so quickly and I still didn't understand it. The best guess I could come up with was that she was another misfit soul. Someone else that didn't quite fit in.

"Well, I don't get a lot of calls. Everyone I know is within a ten-minute walking distance." There was a shuffling sound and then, "I'm honestly surprised it's even you. Thought you forgot about me or something."

It was said in a playful tone but I could hear the curiosity behind it, making me flinch. As much I wanted to deny it, she wasn't wrong. All the craziness the past few weeks had left little room for much else, including the little witch. "I'm sorry. It's been kinda hectic on my end."

"Hey, you've got nothing to apologize for. You had your own life before I intruded on it. It would be stupid to expect you to drop everything for me."

She genuinely didn't seem bothered and understood but the guilt didn't want to go away. I prided myself on keeping my word. "Yeah, but we're friends and I promised to call."

"And I have your number and was afraid to bother you," she shot back. "So there ya go. We're even."

That got a surprised laugh out of me and I shook my head. "You would never be a bother. I enjoy talking to you."

It wasn't a lie. She had an infectious personality that combined with her zest for life made her charming to be around. The only thing that worried me was how she shoved what troubled her under the rug and pretended it didn't exist. It wasn't healthy but I supposed always feeling like a failure could turn anyone into a massive people pleaser.

"It's a thing with me," she admitted and I could picture her fidgeting. "I always think people have more important things to do."

My heart broke more for her knowing that she was trained to think that she wasn't important, that she was an annoyance and my anger at her coven grew. For a group so focused on saving themselves, they didn't hesitate to throw out their weakest members. That or her grandmother was just angry at life for dealing her one bad hand after another. First an abandoning daughter and then a barely magical granddaughter. It must have felt like she was one big joke.

"You don't have to pretend with me," I told her gently. "If you ever need anyone to vent to, I'm all ears."

"Thanks," She said in a watery voice like she was close to crying. "I appreciate it. But I don't think the reason you called was to just offer me support."

Happy to change the subject, I joked, "How'd you guess?", half expecting her to mention her mystery god again. Something about it prickled at my subconscious but I couldn't place what it was. Every time I tried it slipped away like a fish in the water, leaving me just as empty-handed as before.