Ch. 38: Press Restart

Cursing under my breath, I ran through the courtyard towards the school, hoping I wasn't too late. Of all the days for my alarm to spazz, it had to be the one where the girls not chosen got sent home.

I hadn't even wasted any time to change either, still dressed in a pale blue tank top and sleep shorts with fluffy clouds on them. I didn't care if it drew stares; talking to Kali was more important. If I didn't do it now, I would lose my chance and never see her again. It felt wrong to end things like this since she'd been one of the only people to stick by me during our time here. She was terrified of vampires but had never said a bad thing about my relationship with Malik, other than asking if he made me happy.

She was weird, and often a nervous wreck, but she was also sweet and loyal.

The original plan was to get up a little early and practice what I was going to say. Or at least find a way to get her to listen to me. When Kali didn't get over being mad after a few days, you knew she was hurt and she'd taken what happened as a personal attack. I would have to be extremely careful with what I said so it didn't blow up in my face.

Plan A flew out the window when my alarm didn't go off and I woke up with roughly only thirty minutes to get over the school and find her. Of all the rotten luck-

"Please," I wheezed when I reached the doors to the school, leaning against for a quick minute to let my lungs rest. I was not meant to be a runner. "Please don't let me be too late."

Holding my breath in a mix of fear and anticipation, I yanked one open and stepped inside. It came rushing out when I saw the group mingling around the small sitting area, luggage scattered everywhere as they waited for their rides to get here, relieved that I wasn't too late. The Coalition would put them to sleep until they got to an airport where they would then board the nearest flights home. The school also covered any extra travel expenses needed for those that lived in more rural areas like Kali. I guess it was easier wrangling students onto a plane now when there were so few of us left.

"Kali?" I called out, trying to spot her among the different groups sitting on couches and standing around the hall. She'd be alone, that was for sure, probably reading a book and tuning out. She didn't fit in with these girls any better than I did and they had made it a point to prove as much. No, she wasn't the type to plant herself where she wasn't wanted as Claire had been. Kali didn't have the same fuck-you attitude. She would much rather blend in and have people forget she even existed.

I could hear several snickers as some of the girls caught sight of my disheveled state and pointedly made snippy remarks as I walked by.

"Letting go of yourself so soon? I guess you don't have to worry anymore now that you're chosen. Must be nice."

"You're such a great catch. I mean, that rats nest you call hair must be popular in some circles, right? It'll catch on, I'm sure. Your Master is sooo lucky he picked a future trendsetter."

Ignore them. Don't let them get to you, I chanted in my head even as I felt my hand twitch with the urge to pound into their overdone faces as their petty giggles wormed their way under my skin. Somehow I managed to keep my face blank as my eyes skipped over them, continuing to search for Kali.

"Oh, why don't you two shut up," A new voice snapped from a nearby chair. "If your looks were anything to write home about, you wouldn't be getting ready to go back. Don't be mad they wanted someone with a personality."

One girl opened her mouth to deliver a surely comment but one look from my defender had her snapping it shut. With one last glare in my direction, she and her friend leaned into each other and, suddenly pretending we weren't there, started a whispered conversation that was almost certainly about me and all my supposed flaws.