CHAPTER ELEVEN

The Bathtub

~

"This is Rundolph Road, right here." Lucas spoke as he scraped a stick through the mud "the fence starts here and goes all the way around." He spoke, demonstrating using some pieces of wood he had found.

Lucas gestured for me to placed the empty Coca Cola Can in the middle, making me oblige. "And this is the lab right here." Lucas spoke "that gates gotta be in there somewhere."

"Lucas may be right." I spoke turning to face him, Lucas smiled and nodded "it's gotta be there." He spoke.

""Well, who owns Hawking Lab?" My brother asked.

"The sign says 'Department of Energy'" Lucas replied.

"Department of Energy?" Dustin questioned "what do you think that means?"

Mike sighed "it means government. Military."

"That why does it say 'Energy'?" Dustin asked, making me roll my eyes but smile slightly.

"Just trust me, all right?" Mike asked "its military. My dad told me before."

"Mikes right." Lucas agreed "there's soldiers out front."

"Do they make, like, lightbulbs or something?" Dustin asked.

"No, Dustin, they don't." I spoke up, Turing to look at mike who shook his head.

"They make weapons to fight the Russians, and commies and stuff." Mike spoke, making El and I look at each other.

"Weapons." Lucas suddenly spoke up, his gaze switching between El and I.

"Oh, Jesus, this is bad." Dustin spoke as he understood what Lucas was saying.

"Really bad, this place is like a fortress." Lucas responded.

"What are we going to do?" I questioned, Turing to look at Mike.

"I don't know." He sighed "but we can't go home."

"So were fugitives now?" I questioned, Mike nodded and grasped my hand in his and gave me a sad smile.

The sound of a helicopter approaching made me look up "g-guys." My brother stuttered "Do you hear that?"

"Uh-Huh." I muttered, looking up to see a helicopter getting closer to where we were.

Mike pulled me up as we all ran towards our bikes, "let's go!" Mike yelled as Lucas and Dustin hid the bikes under the bus, I shook my head, pulling Mike into the bus.