Chapter 48 - La Béfana

The Ocean's House, (Y/n)'s room

(Y/n) P.O.V.

The day has come. I have waited for this day my whole entire life! Today is my 17th Birthday!! Kōhaku and I were talking as he said; "Y/n), this is quite a special day for you!"

"Yes, Kōhaku! It sure is. Hm, still no call..." I said to him as I was folding my clothes and checked my phone. I grab my phone as I stand up and walk towards my balcony as I open the door.

(Y/n)'s balcony

Kōhaku's P.O.V.

As (Y/n) opened her balcony doors, we go out. I said to her; "There's a ritual we kwamis perform on a day like this."

"Oh really? That's nice." (Y/n) said. She seemed a little distracted as she looked outside her balcony, as if she is waiting for something to appear. I said to her; "But I don't know if you mermaids would like it. I wonder if you guys even give each other presents on your birthday."

(Y/n) seemed surprised by my words as she said; "Oh really Kōhaku? You got me a birthday present?"

"A kwami specialty." I said to her. (Y/n) said; "Oh, that so awesome! What is it?"

As (Y/n) puts both hands down together in front of her, I do a small dance in the air while humming, then I spit an orange gum into (Y/n)'s hands, which she opens as it came towards her. I said to her; "Miraculous birthday (Y/n)!"

(Y/n) looks shocked and slightly disgusted. I was disappointed by her expression as I said to her; "Oh no, you don't like it, do you?"

"Yes! Yes, I love it! It's amazing. It's a, uhhh, what is it?" (Y/n) asked. As the Kwagatama appeared, I said to her; "A Kwagatama. A great symbol of friendship among us kwamiis. We take a hair from our Miraculous holder and join it to the hairs of all the former Miraculous holders. And with them we grow a magic resin for a few months and-"

I stopped talking as I notice (Y/n) is not listening to any of my words. She looks at her phone in disappointment. I was quite sad as I said o her; "I know you don't wanna tell me because you don't want to hurt my feelings but it's obvious you don't like it."

"I'm sorry, Kōhaku! I-I really love your gift. It's just that Marinette should already have called me by now. She's supposed to be taking me to the "dentist" at four o'clock today." (Y/n) said as she air quotes the word dentist and winks. I was puzzled as I said to her; "Do humans always celebrate their birthdays by going to the dentist?"

"Well I'm not sure that the humans go to the dentist on their birthday, but us mermaids don't. But I have a hunch that they are actually throwing me a surprise birthday party!" (Y/n) said as a giant chalkboard with all (Y/n)'s friends drawn on it appear behind her. I asked her; "But how can it be a surprise if you know about it?"

"The thing about surprises is you know about it but pretend you don't so you won't spoil it for the people who are organising it!" (Y/n) explained to me. I said to her; "What about the dentist?"

"It's a fake-out! See, Marinette's gonna pretend to take me to the dentist, but she'll really be taking me to my surprise party!" She said to me. I said to her; "Are you sure?"

"Impossible. All the signs are there, Kōhaku." (Y/n) said. She pulls down a string, revealing a projector screen in her room. As a chibi form of (Y/n) is wearing a lab coat and is holding a pointer in her right hand, she says; "Juleka totally jumped when I caught her holding a bicycle pump."

"Perhaps Juleka has a bicycle!" I said to her as the flashback appears on the projector screen. (Y/n) said; "No, Kōhaku! Obviously she was planning to use the pump to blow up balloons! A surprise birthday party always has balloons! Also, yesterday I caught Nino listening to my favourite song!"