Chapter Fifteen: Not any normal day

Semestrial break has ended yesterday and we’re back to one of our normal days. We all wished that our vacation would go long enough and relax with all the drama in school. But everything has its goal to make us suffer more. Yesterday I had a hard time completing all of my missed out homework’s. I had Math, Science and History. I even went to George’s apartment to help me out with Math since she’s good with numbers and all.

Luckily, I get to finish all the problems with Steve’s constant pulling of my top to play with him. After a number of problems, I decided to play with him and forget about the big stress and gained all the energy I have. Soon after, I went home spotting Mom bonding with Toby.

It was finally good to see them together again ever since of Mom’s disappearance of going to seminars or whatever it is that she needed to go. She was lucky I haven’t scolded her yet or else, I would run away bringing Toby with me so that she could think over everything to what she had miss out from being a responsible mother to us. But yet, she still acts that giggly weird mother who hums every morning she wakes up and hurriedly do the dishes at night and straight to her room and locks it.

Sometimes I fell betray from my own mother. I thought we were going to help ourselves from telling. Whether it’s a secret or not. Is she hiding something from her kids? Is she not worried that her daughter is now curious to her weird self? No matter what that hidden thing or whatever it is, I will find out sooner or later.

“Phoebe!”

I opened my locker and looked to my side to see Rachel, the Student Council President walking towards my direction. I waved at her then got my canvas and paint and brushes then closed it back and locked it. She saw me holding the art materials and offered to help me. I said my thanks and walked with her to Art class.

“Sup?”

She thought of what she was going to say before smiling at me, “Well, I wanted to ask if you could post some of your canvas of yours at our Art Gallery tomorrow since we’ve invited some College students to check the Gallery that we’re setting up. And a professor will be coming with the students and they are giving out Scholarships to students who have the talent. So, are you in?” she smiled and we got to our class. Mrs. Monroe was not yet around and ten minutes more, she’ll arrive.

I sat on the middle stool and arranged my art materials. I thought to what Rachel said. This was the opportunity to show what I’ve got. And to say that whatever this school is, they are giving scholarships to those good painters and artist. I wish I am chosen. I’ve been dreaming to go to an Arts School since I wanted to pursue my painting skills and I know Dad would be so proud at me. Thank god I still have my old canvases at the attic. I could bring some tomorrow for the Gallery.

Oh how I wished that it’s my dream school that’s going. New York Studio School is the best school I know here in New York and I may say that I am willing to everything just to enrol at that school.

I looked back to Rachel and offered a warming smile. “Sure Rach. I’ll be here in the morning to bring my old canvases.”

She shrieked and clapped her hands. “Thank you Phoebe!” We hugged each other and I continued my work, smiling at myself, staring at Dad’s unfinished face.

***

I left myself behind at Art Class and worked on my painting of Dad. I have to be careful with the angles and the mixture of colours. I was now done with the body frame and I had a hard time forming Dad’s eyes since I have erasing it with my pencil for a while now and I can’t seem to make it right.