Chapter Eighteen

"Oh my god they're here!" I exclaim dropping the blind I was looking out of. "No way!" Avi frantically comes out of our room, wearing a dark gray suit sweater over a black button up. I go over to him and fix his upturned collar so it's laying flat. 

We both look insanely fancy. I'm wearing a red sparkly turtleneck and a long black skirt with gold spots on it. We kind of look like those model couples out of a magazine but hey I'm not complaining. 

The doorbell rings and we both walk towards the door, my heels clicking on the wood. He opens the door to reveal his mom who has long blonde hair and fair skin and his dad who has glasses and brown hair.  

"Avi!" His mom throws her arms around him and I smile. "How are you son?" His father asks hugging Avi as well. "I'm good, I missed you both." After the three of them finish their meeting they all look at me. 

I inhale sharply waiting for something to happen. "You must be Kirstie, my gosh you are beautiful!" She hugs me and I smile, hugging her back. "So you're the girl that's making my son so happy." I hug his dad and sigh in relief. 

"Let me look at you." I stand there smiling as she looks me up and down with a smile. "You are so gorgeous, oh my goodness I might cry." My heart is fluttering and all my nerves melt away. "Mom please." "No, I'm serious!" 

"Shelly don't scare her," He turns to look at me with a smile. "I'm sorry about her, she's emotional." I laugh as she swats his arm. "Don't worry about her Mr. Kaplan, I'm emotional too," I say and he chuckles. 

"Oh please don't call me Mr. Kaplan, call me Michael. Mr. makes me feel old." I laugh again and Avi rolls his eyes. "Both of you are the most embarrassing parents in the world." Shelly swats his arm too and laughs. 

"I'm sure Kirstie's parents are just as embarrassing, it's the best part about being a parent." Avi's eyes cloud over and I bite my lip and look down. Shelly's smile disappears when she realizes that the vibe in the room changes negatively. 

"I-I'm sorry...did I say something wrong?" I look up at her and give her a small smile. "No ma'am I just...haven't had the best family life." Avi grabs my hand in his and gently squeezes it. "Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't know." 

"No it's fine, they were quite embarrassing at one point." Michael gives me an empathetic look. "Let's not talk about this and instead let's eat, I'm starving. Let me take your coats" Avi says trying to change the subject.   

His parents unzip and unbutton their coats then hand them to him. "I'm really sorry dear, I had no idea." Shelly says and I smile. "It's ok I promise, I couldn't have expected you to know. Besides Avi has really helped me with everything so it's not so bad. He is truly one of the best people I know." 

They both smile at me as Avi comes back. "Let's eat, shall we?" Avi extends his arm out to me and I hook my arm under his. We walk into the dining room and I smile. All of our hard work had paid off, his cooking and my baking compliment one another perfectly. 

"This looks incredible, Kirstie dear did you do the baking? Lord knows Avi can't bake." I giggle and nod. "Oh yes ma'am I know, that boy was struggling to help me make sugar cookies a few weeks ago. He's one of the best cooks I know though." Shelly and Michael both chuckle and Avi smiles. 

Avi pulls out my chair for me and I thank him. His parents are doing the same thing as Avi sits beside me. We say grace and put our food on our plates then finally we begin eating. "So Kirstie tell us about yourself." 

"Well I'm 18 and I'm taking a gap year before college. I love singing, acting, baking, and reading. Oh and I love cheese and dogs! I've been begging Avi for a dog but he always tells me we'll see." They both chuckle at me.