4 | Can't Hold It

Leah's POV

Here we go. It's about to happen, I'm going to be exposed right now and I'll be so embarrassed I'll have to drop my college class out of fear of seeing Jennifer there again.

"I-I'm not sure." I stutter to Margot, the one who used to nanny for my family. "Maybe not. You have a familiar face I can't place it, but you're gorgeous." She smiles. I smile nervously and thankfully, she drops it there. She doesn't ask or try and "place me". I hope she never does.

"Ready? Leah and I are going to ride in my car." Jennifer says, snatching her keys from the table. I follow all the girls out of the apartment and down to he parking lot. Jennifer gets to park in the parking deck in the reserved area since she actually lives here. Truthfully, I'm very impressed with her home. This isn't some bumish apartment complex. This is a nice, high end gated complex. I would love to have this for myself.

Jennifer starts the drive to this bar and I sit quietly in the passenger seat while she scrolls through her songs on her phone.

"What do you want to listen to?" She asks me, handing her phone over to me. I take it and look through her music, recognizing some songs. I select one and smile softly, "You always this quiet?" She asks me. "Sometimes. I'm just painfully awkward in social situations." I laugh. She grins at me and I watch her teeth pull her lower lip. "Gotcha... are you staying at my place?" She asks. "You mean am I getting drunk?" I giggle, raising my eyebrows. "Sure.." she says and grins softly. "I probably will have one drink, but I'll drive home tonight." I say.

As we drive, my phone keeps going off. The entire car lights up and I glance down and see my mom's photo. She won't stop calling me.

Four calls later...I can't keep ignoring it.

"Hey, mom." I say and sigh. "You make it to Amy's, honey?" She asks. "Yeah." I tell her, wanting desperately to end this call. "Good, good. Tell her I say hello. What time will you be home?" She questions. I bite my lip and close my eyes, I can't answer that. Jennifer's gonna know something is up. "I'll text you, I need to go." I say and end the call abruptly. I'm sure I'll get in trouble for that later...

Jennifer glances at me and grins, "Everything okay?" "Perfect!" I smile. She nods and we pull into a parking spot in front of this bar. We get out and walk inside, thankfully two other girls go in front of me and I guess the bouncer automatically assumes we are all 21. I follow everyone to a high-top table and sit in a chair beside Jennifer. She wastes no time ordering a round of shots for everyone and she pulls out her ID and shows it to the guy. He looks at all of us and kinda cuts his eyes at me, but he doesn't say anything.

He comes back with one of those plastic trays filled with shot glasses and beer bottles. We all take one and Jennifer holds up the glass and everyone follows her lead.

I watch everyone throw the drink back like it is no big deal, but I'm still a baby when it comes to drinking. I can't be a little bitch now though, this is do or die. I take the shot and quickly realize that it's fireball. I shake my head and Jennifer looks over and laughs, "too much?" She asks. I widen my eyes and grab a beer, "Not a fan." I say and press the Corona bottle to my lips.

Everyone dives into conversation and I just listen, not sure how to make myself part of this tight-knit group. I feel like I'm intruding.

"We need to find lovers! We all need to get laid tonight! I mean, Margot has her boyfriend, Jennifer has Leah and-" Jennifer cuts off her friend, "Woah! That's a bold assumption!" Jennifer says.

Now that I think about it, I don't know much about Jennifer. I don't know if she's straight, gay, bi... I just thought she was incredibly attractive and developed a small crush. Is she gay?

"Come on... we know how you operate, Jen!" The girl continues. I watch Jennifer roll her eyes and I giggle to myself. "Let's go smoke." The girl continues. Most of the table gets up so I follow. "You smoke?" Jennifer asks, still sitting comfortably on her chair. "I-no. I just thought-" "That I did? No. That's their thing, not mine." She says and smiles. I sit back down and nod my head, "Gotcha. Your friends are funny." I say and she smiles softly, "They're something. I'm sorry if what she said made you uncomfortable." She tells me. I shake my head and look away from her, "No worries." I say.

There is a brief pause and it gets a little awkward for me.

"Are you gay?" I blurt out. Jesus, Leah. Think a little.

"I'm sorry?" Jennifer asks, looking at me with raised eyebrows. "I mean- your friends comment... are you into women?" I ask shyly. "I am... is that okay?" She laughs and gives me a look. "Oh, of course! I wasn't trying to be rude. I just wasn't sure." I say and grab my drink, dumping alcohol into my mouth before I can say anything else stupid.

"What about you? I haven't been able to get a good read on you... but judging by your phone lock screen I'm assuming you are straight." She says. I glance down at me screen and see the picture of Jalen and I from last Halloween, we did the whole "couples costume" thing.

"He's not my boyfriend. We had a thing, but I'm single." I say and she starts to grin, "I can't tell if you're purposely avoiding the question or..." "I go both ways." I explain. She nods her head and takes another small sip from her drink.

Hours pass by and I don't know what happened or how it happened so quickly. All I know is that I am very buzzed, too much to drive. The only one of us who is basically sober is Jennifer. Noticing that everyone is stumbling drunk, she calls it a night and we make our way out to the car.

I get in the passenger seat and I'm happy and giggling. Jennifer climbs in and sighs, "Please don't throw up in here." She pleads. I shake my head and smile widely, "No! I won't!" I say cheerfully. I'm so happy when I'm drunk, usually a little too talkative as well.

We make it back to Jennifer's apartment complex and she helps me up the stairs and we go inside. I need to get home somehow, my parents will flip out if I'm gone all night.

"I should prob-" before I can get my sentence out I feel it. I'm about to vomit. This makes it painfully obvious that I don't drink much and I can't hold my alcohol. Jennifer acts quickly and guides me to the bathroom and holds my hair while I drop to my knees and puke in her toilet. Her hand rubs up and down my back and she keeps a tight grip on my hair.

Looks like I'll be staying the night at Jennifer's. No way in hell I can go home like this.