20 | Daddy's Little Girl

Leah's POV

Week of Graduation

"Again, I would highly suggest you study all of the material from the chapters we covered this semester for this final. Come prepared and on time." My professor says as I leave the auditorium in my tight workout pants and oversized t-shirt.

It's been almost two months. Two months with no contact with Jennifer and I hate it. I'm more miserable now that I have ever been before. My parents are hard on me, I'm not able to go anywhere, I still don't have my phone, and now that school is coming to an end I'll probably never get to leave the house again.

Amy tells me "just wait until you're eighteen" all the time, but that won't help me much. It isn't like I have the financial means to move out of my parents house anyway. I'm truly stuck and I think I'm reaching my breaking point in all of this. I don't know how much longer I can go.

As I walk to my car, I hear my name shouted from behind me. I spin around and see a friend from school waving me down. "Leah, over here!" She yells. I force myself to smile and she comes over, happy as ever. I wish I was that way.

"Hey, I just wanted to invite you to a graduation party... I know it'll be late and stuff, but you should totally come. Almost the entire senior class is going to be there!" She says. "Oh, uh- I would really love to, but-" "Great! After the ceremony everyone is meeting at Marcus and Daniel's house! It'll be great. Just make sure to bring a swimsuit." She says, nudging my arm. I force an awkward smile and let her talk, knowing I won't be able to attend.

I'm missing out on some of the best times ever... my prom, senior parties.... I can't do this stuff twice. My parents are determined to make me regret ever getting involved with Jennifer, and they're doing a great job so far. My whole life feels like it's falling apart.

-

"Leah! Let's go!" My mom screams from the door. I sigh and swing around the bannister beside the stairs, wearing a blue dress and some wedges. Family birthday dinner's are always fun.

We make it to the restaurant and I'm left sitting across from my father at the center of the table. My mom is beside him and the remainer of my immediate and extended family is around us too. I'd say we have about twelve people here tonight, most of them I'm not close with.

Dinner starts out good, I'm partially distracted from the chaos that is my life, and I'm grateful for it.

Things take a rough turn when my aunt asks about relationships... particularly mine.

"Tell me, Leah. You aren't seeing anyone?! You're growing up, shouldn't you be looking for husband candidates?!" She giggles. I glance at my dad and he cuts his eyes at me. "I was, actually. I found someone who made me really happy; however, things didn't go as planned because my dad didn't approve." I say, being a smart ass. My aunt furrows her eyebrows and I grin like a smartass, "her name was Jennifer." I say.

My dad is embarrassed by me. He would be far too embarrassed to tell them I dated a woman, so me telling them is the only way I can seek the tiniest bit of revenge on him for the hell he's put me through.

"Enough, Leah." He hisses. My aunt looks at him and then back at me. There is no way he'd tell them about Jennifer and I's age difference. He's far too worried about tarnishing his family-image.

"You- you are a lesbian?" My aunt asks. By this point the entire table is focused on me. I smile widely and sigh, "labels aren't really my thing. I like who I like." I say. I know my dad is crawling in his skin. How dare I go all wild-card in front of everyone like this? Right?

"I've dated girls and guys, but I have a definite preference to girls." I admit. Everyone seems so shocked by this, I thought it was sort of obvious. "Oh, honey.... that's- mmhm. Interesting!" My aunt says, not sure how to respond. The look my father gives me is the most evil and mean look I've ever gotten. He's furious.

"Out." He demands. "What? I'm embarrassing you?" "Leah, I won't ask again. Get up and leave." He grits. I laugh and shake my head, "Such a loving, wonderful and accepting family. Really... I love it. Have a nice dinner, guys." I say as I storm away from the table.

Rather than waiting outside the restaurant for my family to take me home, I take my wedges off start walking.

By the time I make it home, everyone is back already. The moment I step in the door my dad gets loud. He throws his hands in the air and screams, "Leah! Have you lost your damn mind?!" I grin and my brother pokes out from the corner and I shake my head, "upstairs, now." I say. He hangs his head and goes away, leaving my father and into fight in private.

"You're just upset I told the truth." I say and he shakes his head, "you- you make me sick. I can't believe you, Leah." He says. I shrug my shoulders. "Sorry. Sorry I'm not daddy's little girl anymore. Sorry I'm not the angel you wanted me to be. Sorry I'm not the perfect daughter who listens to your every command... I won't be like her. I know mom breaks the moment you put pressure on her or raise your voice, but I'm not so easily swayed. Get over it you piece of-" as I go to finish, I feel something I've never felt before. Something I have never though I would feel.

My cheek stings as his fingers slide off of my face. I instantly grab my cheek and my jaw drops. He hit me.... he just hit me.