18 | Afraid

Leah's POV

Remember how Jennifer said she had a flight to catch last week? Right, well I couldn't let it go. She never mentioned anything about flying for work or anything like that when we were together, so I came to the conclusion that she's probably seeing someone new.

Well, I couldn't just not know. I may have went a little too far and created an account with a totally different name, different photos, different life... basically a catfish account. I've been keeping tabs on Jennifer and her whereabouts, turns out she's living in Seattle. She got an apartment with her cousin there and they just... left. She's gone.

I've known about this for a day or so now, and I haven't said anything to Jennifer about it. I'm about to though, it's making me crazy.

iMessage to Jennifer, 8:03pm;
You just left? Why?

iMessage from Jennifer, 8:24pm:
You're stalking me now?

iMessage to Jennifer, 8:24pm:
Jen, I miss you. I hate this, baby. Please... I want to see you.

iMessage from Jennifer, 8:32pm:
Why? You want closure? Leah I moved because I'm afraid. I talked about the things that happened between with a close friend, and he suggested that I get out. I can't get in trouble, Leah. I'll be back in California soon, but not now. I want some time to pass... until you're at least eighteen. Okay? Maybe when that happens we can sit down and talk, but I can't make you any promises.

iMessage to Jennifer, 8:34pm:
That's months from now! Jennifer I can't wait to see you for that long. I feel like there is so much that was left unsaid with us!

iMessage from Jennifer, 8:41pm:
There was a lot left unsaid, including the fact that you are a minor. I'm gonna go now, goodnight, Leah.

Ugh. She- she responded. I guess that's a good thing considering she hasn't ever responded before. I wish it was different. I've never wanted to change something so bad in my whole life.

As I sit here, drowning myself in "what ifs", I get a call from Amy. She tells me to come outside, so I do. I find her sitting in her car in my driveway. I walk over to the window and lean inside, "Hi?" "Hey, come with me. We are getting a milkshake or something. You haven't been out of your house." She says. I roll my eyes, "Amy I really don't wan-" "It wasn't a request, Leah. Get your ass in my car." She demands. I sigh and shake my head, "I need to get my shoes and phone..." I say and start to walk back into my house. "No, you don't. Just get in!" She says. I groan and walk to the passenger side and climb inside.

Amy drives us to a little ice cream place and she goes and grabs both of our ice creams since I don't have shoes... her fault, not mine. Once she's back in the car I get a look from her.

"What?" "You know what. Talk to me." She says. I bite my cheek and play with my ice cream using my spoon. I hate talking about my feelings like this. "I just miss her." I mutter, my voice cracking. "I can see that, but have you talked to her?" Amy questions. "Hardly. I- I found out she moved to Seattle. She left, Amy. She told me she wanted things to simmer down here before she came back, she's worried she'll get in trouble!" I say, my eyes getting glossy with tears. "I can't say I blame her, Le. You know what could happen." She says. "Nothing is going to happen! I love her, Amy. No one would know and I'm almost eighteen anyway." "Baby, you know it isn't that simple." "I wish it was. I saw her last week... she was on campus talking to her dad and she looked so good." I say, picturing her in my mind clear as ever.

It's crazy how your mind can recall details like that.

"She always looks good, silly!" Amy teases, trying her hardest to make me give the edge of a smile. "No, that's the thing. She looks so good, Amy. How? How is she not torn up about this? I'm a wreck, my face is breaking out, I'm gaining weight... it's so hard for me. She just-she isn't even bothered by it!" "Maybe you just think that. Leah, you know people handle things differently. For all you know she could be more torn up about this than you are. She's just a lot older than you, which I'm sure means she has more experience with handling breakups and controlling her emotions." Amy says. She has a valid point, but god.

"I would do anything to have her back, Amy. I just want things to be okay. I want her." "I know, I know. Just- just hold on. I know how bad things seem right now, but it'll be okay." "You can't tell me that. You don't know." "I'm sorry, Leah." She pouts. I can tell she genuinely feels bad for me right now, but the pain I am feeling is not even imaginable unless you are actually going through it.

"Thank you for trying, and for the ice cream. Can you please take me home? I need to shower and go to bed." I tell her. "Yeah, no problem."

I hug Amy across the center console and get out of her car, "Thank you, really. I love you." I say. She winks at me, "Don't hesitate to call if you need anything. Love you." I wave at her and she drives off.

It's good to have friends who actually care... it makes the situation just a tab more bearable.

I walk into the house and I feel the vibe change instantly. It's quiet, and I know something isn't right. I walk quietly into the kitchen and see my dad standing there with my mom, and my phone.

"Tell me more about this Jennifer you've been sleeping with."

Oh, this isn't good.