23 | Payphone

Leah's POV

"Congrats, graduate."

All I can do is stare at her. She's here... she's in a beautiful, royal blue dress that's tight around her waist and shows the perfect amount of cleavage. Her hair is half up, half down and her make up is perfect. She's just standing there smiling at me while smacking on her gum quietly.

"I- Jennifer." I manage to get the word out after a good fifteen seconds of silent staring. "What are you doing here?" I ask her, still in shock. I can't believe she's here.

"I told you we could talk when I got back, and I'm back now. When I got back to my apartment I saw your graduation invite and figured I'd seize the moment. Plus, I wanted to see you graduate." She grins. "I- oh my god. I can't believe you are standing in front of me." I say and shake my head. Get a grip, Leah. God. "You looked-" she starts to speak but she's interrupted when Jalen's arm draped over my shoulder and he kisses my cheek. "We made it, Le." He says. He glances at Jennifer and then back at me, "pardon me, I don't think we've met..." he says, extending his hand to Jennifer.

Jennifer shakes his hand and presses her lips together, "I'm Jennifer. You are?" "Jalen." He says. I force a smile and look at him. I still can't speak. "I have to go find my family, so I'll see you at the party later. Right?" He asks. I nod my head slowly and he walks off briskly in another direction.

Back to my crisis. The love of my life is standing in front of me. She's still perfect and I still have all the same feelings. After not seeing her for months I don't know what to do with myself... not to mention everything that's happened.

"Jennifer, we need to talk." I say, realizing that I need to get her out of here before my parents come down. They'll see her and recognize her and then what? They threatened to basically destroy both our lives if I ever saw her again. "Yeah, we do. Why don't we-" "No, not here. Jennifer, please. Leave. I can come to your place tonight, but if you don't go now I can't promise you things will be okay between us. I kind of got into some huge trouble, it's a long story, but I'll tell you all of it." I say, touching her arm. Her skin.

Obviously, she's confused. She doesn't know what the hell is going on here. I'd be confused too.

"Okay... just come to my apartment later. I'll be there." She says. I nod my head and she lets her hand slide out of my fingers as she walks away in her tall wedges. I watch her get further and further and I hear my name.

"Leah! My baby! You did it!" My mom says, hugging on me. I force a smile and shift my eyes off of Jennifer and to my mom. "I know, it's crazy." I say.

I can't think. All that's on my mind is Jennifer and seeing her.

About an hour passes and the madness has started to calm down a bit. My dad is still under the impression that I'll be going to Amy's after I leave here, and my mom thinks I'll be at that graduation party.... that would be the case had Jennifer not shown up here. Now, I'm ditching both of those plans and going to Jennifer's. I need to see her, no matter how much trouble it could get me in. I won't get caught anyway, so I'm not that worried.

I grab my bag from the car and tell my parents goodbye, my dad keeps giving me this look of suspicion, but I don't let it phase me. He couldn't possibly know anything.

My family leaves and I walk to Jalen's car and he's waiting. "Hey, took you long enough." He smiles and opens my door for me as I pull my cap off of my head and roll my eyes, "I know, sorry." I say and get inside. He gets into the driver's seat and starts the car. He drives in the direction of the party we are supposed to be going to, and I'm still working out a way in my head to get out of this. Maybe I'll just slip out after I get there and no one will notice.

Ten minutes pass and he suddenly pulls the car over.

"What are you doing?" I ask him and he sighs and looks at me. "Leah, come on. I really like you. This- this unofficial thing isn't working for me." He says. I furrow my brows and just stare right back at him. Is he serious right now? "I just want us to be a thing. We were so good a few months ago." He tells me. I shake my head and turn away from him, "Jalen, I can't. I don't want a-" "Leah." He whispers and his hand hits my thigh. I glance at his hand, then at him. He leans over and kisses me forcefully even though I'm clearly not into it.

"Mm- Jalen, stop." I grumble underneath his lips. He refuses to stop and moves to my neck instead. I continue to pull myself away, but it's no use. He's relentless. I feel his hand slide all the way up my thigh and touch between my legs. "That is enough." I hiss and shove him off as hard as I can. He gives me this look of pure disappointment and I shake my head, "what the hell is wrong with you? I told you no, Jalen. That doesn't mean keep fucking with me just because you're horny. Have fun at the party." I hiss as I grab my bag and get out of the car. He rolls his window down and pleads with me to get back in, but I'm not doing it.

"Le, wait..." he begs me. "Bye. Fuck off." I hiss. He rolls his eyes and spins tires as he drives off.

Once he's out of sight, I sigh and look around. It's getting late and it's sort of sketchy to be standing here alone like this. I can't call Jennifer on my phone, my mom and dad have her number pinged so if I contact her they'll know instantly. Thankfully, I see a payphone down the street a ways.

I insert my money and dial her number and she answers. "Hello?" "Jen, it's Leah. Can you come get me?" I ask her, continuously glancing over my shoulder. "I thought you were coming here?" "I was, but something happened and I'm standing on the sidewalk talking to you through a payphone." I say, adding a laugh to make it sound less pathetic than it really is. "Jesus, Leah. Where are you? I'm coming." She sighs.

Fifteen minutes later I see Jennifer's car pulling up to the curb. I walk over and open the door and climb inside and stare at her, "hey." "Wanna tell me why you're out here?" She asks. "It's a long story. I don't want to get into it right now. Can we just go back to your place? I have a lot to tell you." I sigh, looking out the window. She nods silently and drives us to her apartment.

Tonight is going to be interesting to say the least.