28 | Don't Let Them Catch You

Leah's POV

Two Weeks Later

"I don't care, Leah. I said no!" My douchebag of a father yells at me after I ask him a simple question about me getting a job. You'd think that after this time has passed he'd ease up on the whole "punishment" thing, but he's done the exact opposite. I really feels like he watches me even closer than he did just a few weeks ago. I haven't told Jennifer this because I don't want to scare her. I mean, I still have two weeks and a few days until I'm legally allowed to be with Jennifer, so it is still very possible to scare her off.

"Another thing, I don't want you going anywhere at all for the next two weeks. I know you and your mother have some sort of system going that allows you to leave the house, but no more. I am in charge here. I pay the bills, so I make the rules. Get your ass up to your room and out of my face." He hisses. I roll my eyes hard and give him a nasty look. He quickly jumps up, reminding me how much bigger he is than me.

It is a very sad and scary feeling when you fear your own father, or any parent for that matter. I am all to familiar with this feeling, but these past few months have been especially hard for me. At this point I really do think Jennifer is my only reason to stand strong and just hold on for a little bit longer.

Jennifer's POV

I walk into a bar where I am meeting two of my closest friends, Matt and Steven. I haven't seen them since I've been back and I feel bad, so tonight is going to consist of a lot of catching-up.

People ask me why I left so suddenly all the time. I've constructed a story for these questions, one that completely leaves out my very romantic and illegal relationship with Leah. I know she doesn't like this secretive relationship we have, but it has to be this way. I am not telling anyone anything that could hurt me in any way. I have too much to lose.

"There she is, my favorite lesbian!" Steven shouts as I make my way to the high-top table. I smile and hug them both tightly. "I have missed the two of you more than you could ever know." I confess as I make myself comfortable in the chair. They waste no time in ordering me a beer, and I happily accept it.

"It's been far too quiet without you here." Matt says. "Yes, it has. Now, I have to ask... You left because of a girl, didn't you?" He asks me. I freeze and glance at him. "What?" "You moved to be with her, things didn't work out so you came home, right? I mean its textbook lesbian stuff.." He jokes. I grin and swallow my beer, along with the lump that forming in my throat due to nerves once he says this. I nod my head, "yep. That is exactly how it went down." "No, really.. What made you leave the way you did?" "The short answer is none of your business, but the real answer is that I missed my cousin and I just needed some time away from here, this city and the people. I felt like I lost myself and I was getting caught up in a lot of things I usually wouldn't... but we really don't need to get into it." I say, trying to change the subject quickly.

I continue my conversation with the boys and we are back to normal within minutes. I love the friendships that you are able to pick up right where you left off, no matter how long it has been.

Just as I raise up my empty glass, signally the bartender for another, my attention is grabbed by a young girl who approaches the table.

"Jennifer, right?" She asks. I furrow my brows, "Yeah, do I know you?" "Maybe not. I'm Amy, Leah's friend." She says. My eyes widen and my heart thumps loudly in my chest like a drum. "Oh, I think I remember you." I say. "Leah? Who is that? Your secret lover?" Matt teases. I glance at him, then back to the girl who is likely about to be tackled to the floor if she says another word.

"I'll be back, guys. I need a minute." I say, sliding off of the tall chair and grabbing Amy by the back of her arm, forcing her out of the building with me.

"Let me start with the fact that I know you aren't old enough to be in that bar, and then let me tell you this-" "Jennifer, listen. I am not going to tell anyone about what you and Leah did. It's history. I mean, yeah... you hurt her and I sat up with her for so many nights letting her cry into the phone, but it's over. She seems happier now." She says.

I process what she says.. she doesn't know that Leah and I are still seeing each other.

"Thank you for being there for her, Amy. I am sorry about all of that, but I needed to get out." "I am glad you did. Dating you and sleeping with you was a mistake on Leah's part! She should have never crossed that line with you. I mean, it isn't like it is some simple thing. You could go to jail and lose things, like freedom. Yanno? I am just very happy that-" Amy slowly stops talking when her eyes meet mine. Shit.

"And judging by that look, you two don't just have history, do you?" She asks me. I press my lips together and glance in another direction. "Amy it wasn't that-" "You are still sleeping with her?! How? She's not even allowed out of the house!" "Shh, keep your voice down! Leah and I have a lot of love for one another, and neither of us could let it go, Amy. We are keeping things quiet for now. She's almost eighteen." I say, realizing that it sounds pretty crazy when I say it out loud.

"Jennifer, you two are both incredibly stupid." "I know." "I wish you both the best with this. I am staying out of it though, so do not tell Leah I even know. And what about her parents? They are practically drill sergeants." She says. I sigh and shrug my shoulders. "Right... Well, if I can offer you one piece of advice in this madness, don't let them catch you... no matter what."