14 | Playing Games

Leah's POV

Four o'clock arrives and I'm sitting on Jennifer's bed in my panties and t-shirt. She just walked out of the room to take a phone call and her timing couldn't have been better. My phone rings and I see my mom's photo appear. I swipe my finger across the screen and push my hand through my messy post-sex hair as I answer.

"Hey, mom." I say, not sounding very enthused. "Hi, honey. Where are you and what time will you be home?" She asks me. "I'm with my tutor working on some stuff. I have a test coming up." I lie. "Oh, okay. Well I need you home by six. We are going to have a family dinner." She says. I roll my eyes and bite my lip, "Mom, that's really not necessary. We had a family dinner like two weeks ago! I wanted to spend the night with her and study." I tell her. "Leah! It's a school night." "And? I can get to school on time if I sleep at Amy's! So why not here?! It's just easier if I stay." I tell her, trying my hardest to convince her. "Ugh, Leah. You make this so difficult. Fine, stay there and call me if you need." She says. I smile victoriously and hang up the phone.

"You sure do look happy." Jennifer teases as she walks back into her room. "I am." "Mm, good. Put some pants on and let's go have a drink and dinner." She says, leaning over to kiss me. I pucker my lips and kiss her quickly, "Dinner sounds good." I smile. She grins and the two of us get dressed and go have a simple little dinner together.

Things tend to go wrong when I'm least expecting them to. My dinner with Jennifer was going amazing... then we got up to leave. Now I'm standing face to face with my friend, Amy and my fingers are interlocked with Jennifer's. Oh, shit.

"Leah?" She questions, heavy dark make up around her eyes. "Amy, hey." I say and glance at Jennifer. What do I do? "Jen, this is Amy. Amy... Jennifer." I say awkwardly. I feel the look Amy's giving me and it makes me super uncomfortable. "Baby, I'll meet you in the car." I say to Jennifer, hinting for her to leave. She nods and kisses my cheek quickly before walking off.

"Please... let me explain." I say and rub my temple. Amy raises her eyebrows, "I was hoping you would." "Listen, it's a mess and it's a secret. You can't say a word." I say, knowing I can trust her. "Spill!" "So, you know I take that college psychology class on Monday, Wednesday and Friday? Well, about a month ago I started seeing this girl a lot on campus and we started talking. Things happened and our relationship got more romantic and now I'm sort of dating her." I say, biting my cheek and closing my eyes. "What?! Leah!" "I know, I know. I just- I like her a lot." "I mean, that's great. I'm happy for you! You should have told me." She smiles. "It gets better..." I say.

There is no way what I am about to tell Amy is going I go over smoothly.

"She's twenty-nine and she's my professor's daughter." I say quickly. I watch this look of shock come over her face and I force a smile, "Surprise." I say. "Leah..." she whispers. She grabs my hand and drags me outside where we are somewhat alone. "You- you are insane. You're dating a twenty nine year old woman?! You are only seventeen! Please tell me you two aren't sleeping together." She begs. I give another fake smile and she closes her eyes and sighs, "Leah. Why are you doing this? Do you know how much trouble she could get in?!" "I know, but-" "Wait..." she stops me and gives me a look. "She is totally okay with you being underage?" She asks me. Uh oh.

"That's the thing. She is sort of under the impression that I'm twenty two and a college student. Not a seventeen year old high school senior." I whisper. She shakes her head at me in disbelief. "Leah, you- oh god. This is bad!" "Amy, I know. It's bad and I never meant for things to go this far! But now that it has gotten to this point I can't just drop it. I am crazy about her, Amy. I've been lying and making up stories to keep this facade going and- ugh." I hang my head and she grabs my hand. "What are you going to do?" "I don't know. I'll be eighteen in June!" I say, as if that isn't months away. "Leah, you need to come clean with her. She doesn't know what she's risking by being with you and it is not fair." Amy tells me.

She's right. She's so right. Jennifer has no idea what she's gotten into with me and it's not right for me to hide this.

"I- I know. I'm gonna come clean with her very soon. I don't want a relationship based on a lie! But for now... I need you to help me cover. I sort of tell my mom I sleep over at your place when I am really with Jennifer." I say and she rolls her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. I'll cover your ass, but please be smart about this. Don't get her in trouble, Leah. This is her whole life you're playing with." "I know, but I-" I stop myself and lick my lips. "I'll fix it." I say and force a smile. She nods and hugs me, "go. Have a good night. I love you." She reminds me. I grin and walk off towards Jennifer's car.

Ugh. This-this is a disaster. My entire relationship with Jennifer is basically a train wreck looking for a place to happen. She thinks she's sleeping with a grown, legal woman. I can't keep this up. When Amy told me this was her life I was playing with... it hit me. If this goes bad and anyone finds out the truth about us... Jennifer could lose everything.